Sign in to follow this  
Guest Pilot Nicco

Ifdg A320 Texture Help

Guest Pilot Nicco

So I got a repaint of an iFDG US Airways A320 directly from the author. On one of the engine textures there was a problem though. There was a shadow of th eengine fins on both side of the engine and there is no iFDG .MDL file that has them on both side on this specific spot. So I send this engine texture to my friend who has a Macintosh computer, and photo shop and he removed the shadow on the outer side of the engine to I could get an iFDG .MDL file that has the fins are just one side on this specific spot, and I would have this working. I emailed it to him, he fixed it and sent it back to me. I then added it to my iFDG aircraft, and added it to my aircraft folder for FS just like I normally would, and loaded FS. Then when I selected that A320, FS crashes and sais something about the FE.DLL. It did this several times. The format was still .BMP, and I couldnt find anything wrong with it. I then exchanged that engine texture for a different one, (just to see if it was the engine texture) and when I selected that aircraft, it worked. Can someone please tell me whats wrong?The file titled issue - fixed is the file that he fixed for me. The one that is giving me problems.

Nicco,while Photoshop is a great tool, it doesn't save FS friendly bitmaps. :( All you need to do is save the offending .bmp file in Imagetool or DXTBmp and all will be well. You can find Imagetool in one of the FS SDK kits (can't remember which one) and DXTBmp is available here:http://www.mnwright.btinternet.co.uk/regards,Jure

Guest Pilot Nicco
Nicco,while Photoshop is a great tool, it doesn't save FS friendly bitmaps. :( All you need to do is save the offending .bmp file in Imagetool or DXTBmp and all will be well. You can find Imagetool in one of the FS SDK kits (can't remember which one) and DXTBmp is available here:http://www.mnwright.btinternet.co.uk/regards,Jure
What format does it need to be saved in. .DXTBmp?Regards,-Nicco

Nicco,the same as it was originally is a safe bet. On top of the DXTBmp window you can see what is the format of a loaded .bmp, so just save it in the same format. I assume your .bmp file has an alpha layer for the shiny parts, so you can save it in either 32-bit or DXT3. DXT3 is far smaller but quality suffers a bit. Well, I convert all my 32-bit files into DXT3 anyway. One more thing... if you use DXTBmp uncheck the field "MipMaps - Include when saving" - you do not need mip maps for an engine texture file. Regards,Jure

Guest Pilot Nicco
Nicco,the same as it was originally is a safe bet. On top of the DXTBmp window you can see what is the format of a loaded .bmp, so just save it in the same format. I assume your .bmp file has an alpha layer for the shiny parts, so you can save it in either 32-bit or DXT3. DXT3 is far smaller but quality suffers a bit. Well, I convert all my 32-bit files into DXT3 anyway. One more thing... if you use DXTBmp uncheck the field "MipMaps - Include when saving" - you do not need mip maps for an engine texture file. Regards,Jure
Okay well I did it, except that I didnt see anything about Mipmaps anywhere. All I really did was load it, save it, (as 32-bit). And im about to see if it works.Best Regards,-Nicco