Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

misgav

External Drive Considerations

My C drive is where FS9 resides. I have installed addon scenery, payware or freeware, in C as well as D.I'm running out of space in C. (80GB for each drive)I noticed that as soon as C was over 85% full, FS9 began to be unstable. I had to uninstall some great scenery to bring FS9 back to life! (such as the Netherlands 2000 scenery-29GB!). So if I get a new external drive and use it for space hungry addons will FS9's performance be better/more stable?What specs should I look for when shopping for a new drive?Eytan OrnsteinIntel 2core duo 4400 2.1 GHZDDR3 2.0GBGeforce 8600GT 256 MBWindows xp sp3

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

As it appears you understand, I would recommend against using a USB2 external drive for directly running MSFS, simply due to speed considerations. Although quick enough for storage of data, an external USB2 drive might not be quick enough to satisfactorily run MSFS, if it was entirely stored there. If you have large music or multimedia libraries, perhaps you can move those to the external drive for storage - and keep MSFS running as is on your internal drives. You might also be able to offload some less-often used scenery files to the external drive, as well as the storage of all your downloaded purchases. You might see some slight loading delays, but it should work OK. If you want to fully segregate MSFS onto an external drive and don't mind going inside your computer do it, take a look at external SATA (eSATA) drives. They have the speed and quickness of an internal SATA disk, but with the portability of external. AGain, you'd have to go inside your computer to install an eSATA adaptor, so not sure how well that will suit you.-Greg