Sign in to follow this  
Guest harryrupert

Dx10 Preview

Guest jonny-jo

When I click on DX10 preview, restart FSX, choose a flight I just get a black sceen? I also had a message that my video card becamedisabled but then restarted. Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?Many thanksHarry :(

DX10 is a mixed bag for some people. It tends to not work well for them. Could be a video card driver issue. I get the display driver restart error sometimes if I have OC'ed my card too much. give us some specs on your machine.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Guest jonny-jo
When I click on DX10 preview, restart FSX, choose a flight I just get a black sceen? I also had a message that my video card becamedisabled but then restarted. Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?Many thanksHarry :(
Hi Bob,QX9650 o/c 4.0ghz - Asus Extreme - 4 gb OCZ ddr3 - 8800 Ultra -150gb WD raptor - 500gb Seagate.........etc..........etcI'm using Nhancer? coild that be the problem. I was only being nosy to see what it would run like! I must admit I don't want to mess up my current configuration as FSX is running fine for me. but any help would be grealty appreciated.ThanksHarry

HarryI don't think you are doing anything wrong. DX10 just doesn't work for many people, me included. The only time my video driver stops working is when I OC my card( I don't use Nhancer, But I do OC a small amount in Nvidia Control Pannel) too much and then try to run 3Dmark.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Guest firehawk44
You have the infamous "display driver has stopped responding and has restarted again". It's not DX10 preview causing this problem. This is a known problem with memory management. Nvidia had posted several Microsoft hotfixes on their website to help resolve this issue but I think they were taken down as all the operating systems should be automatically updated to fix several memory issues. This is the first time in almost a year I have heard of anyone getting this error message. So, first of all, make sure your OS has been updated with all the latest hotfixes (Vista SP1 has them all included). Some found the problem was simply resolved by uninstalling and reinstalling the display drivers. I doubt this is a permanent fix and it was more likely a corrupt installation. What you are getting is the beginnings of a crash due to lack of memory. Try turning down your FSX sliders and/or return your sliders to the default levels. The "increaseuserva" bcd edit will help fix this problem too but only if your sliders are not maxed out. Make sure your performance settings (page file managment) is set to "system managed size". I've found most individuals who try to manage their own virtual memory have more crashes. BTW, DX10 preview will actually increase your fps. You'll see a 10-30 fps increase over systems w/o DX10 enabled in certain situations. If you get the "display driver has stopped responding and has restarted" again, make sure you restart your system or it will get worse even without FSX running.Best regards,Jim

Guest jonny-jo
You have the infamous "display driver has stopped responding and has restarted again". It's not DX10 preview causing this problem. This is a known problem with memory management. Nvidia had posted several Microsoft hotfixes on their website to help resolve this issue but I think they were taken down as all the operating systems should be automatically updated to fix several memory issues. This is the first time in almost a year I have heard of anyone getting this error message. So, first of all, make sure your OS has been updated with all the latest hotfixes (Vista SP1 has them all included). Some found the problem was simply resolved by uninstalling and reinstalling the display drivers. I doubt this is a permanent fix and it was more likely a corrupt installation. What you are getting is the beginnings of a crash due to lack of memory. Try turning down your FSX sliders and/or return your sliders to the default levels. The "increaseuserva" bcd edit will help fix this problem too but only if your sliders are not maxed out. Make sure your performance settings (page file managment) is set to "system managed size". I've found most individuals who try to manage their own virtual memory have more crashes. BTW, DX10 preview will actually increase your fps. You'll see a 10-30 fps increase over systems w/o DX10 enabled in certain situations. If you get the "display driver has stopped responding and has restarted" again, make sure you restart your system or it will get worse even without FSX running.Best regards,Jim
Thanks Jim thats a very comphrehensive explanation, now I understand, My o/s is Vista 64 SP! and I do tend to run with my sliders maxed. I will do as suggested by turning down my sliders and see what happens, may I ask a question, do you run FSX in DX10 preveiew?Thanks again.Harry

HarryYou are running Vista64 w 4GB DDR3 RAM so the problem is unlikely to be associated with memory (RAM) or more appropriately Virtual Adrress Space and I doubt you are using all 512MB on your video card. It sounds like a driver issue - which nvidia driver are you running? I had "black" screen issues with ALL of the 180.xxx series drivers. The latest driver I can run using an 8800GT is 178.13. with or without DX10P. Moving the sliders down may be still useful however.In your case DX10 preview may have been just enough to give you the black screen.RegardspeterH

Guest jonny-jo
HarryYou are running Vista64 w 4GB DDR3 RAM so the problem is unlikely to be associated with memory (RAM) or more appropriately Virtual Adrress Space and I doubt you are using all 512MB on your video card. It sounds like a driver issue - which nvidia driver are you running? I had "black" screen issues with ALL of the 180.xxx series drivers. The latest driver I can run using an 8800GT is 178.13. with or without DX10P. Moving the sliders down may be still useful however.In your case DX10 preview may have been just enough to give you the black screen.RegardspeterH
Hi PeterH, I'm running 174.74 (Win64) beta's which I've found very stable which Nick N recommended! in the meantime I have reset the sliders to default but still get the "not responding" message and the black screen so I think you are possibly correct in that its a driver issue, I will have a look at the 178.13., the only thing is that I'm very happy with the performance in DX9 so I could be digging a hole for myself! however its so frustrating when something don't work as it should.Thanks for your comments.Harry

Guest ziporama

The DX10 preview mode is stable for me in FSX with the exception of some rendering problems with runway markings and lights that don't z-buffer correctly (they show behind opaque objects or simply disappear). The FPS boost is very, very nice, and it's just too bad as I end up doing a lot of night flying and the lights are really a problem.Nvidia 180.4x driver has created nothing but trouble on my rig using Vista 64/8800 Ultra. Namely, it has shown the stability of the video driver when Vista 64 was first released, which is terrible. I also need to write that newer video cards from NVidia don't seem to have this many issues based on reports on the forums. I suppose the driver and video card combination will be the luck of the draw, for some it will work great, others, such as me, well, it's been removed until the bountiful and unwarranted driver stops crashing my games 3 out of 4 times at random intervals.178.24 works well for me however.Etienne

Guest firehawk44
Thanks Jim thats a very comphrehensive explanation, now I understand, My o/s is Vista 64 SP! and I do tend to run with my sliders maxed. I will do as suggested by turning down my sliders and see what happens, may I ask a question, do you run FSX in DX10 preveiew?Thanks again.Harry
I have the Vista 32 OS and, yes, I do run FSX in DX10 preview most of the time but I sometimes turn it off because some of the runways are flashing and the taxiway arrows do not show up when taxiing to a gate (known issues with DX10 preview). But the flashing is not at every airport so I can tolerate it most of the time. I do enjoy seeing shadows in the cockpit while flying as it gives a deeper immersion into the sim and I like the fact it provides better fps. It's nothing to really get excited by though and I hope FS11 has DX11 fully programmed into the sim w/o the issues we have seen in DX10.Best regards,Jim

Guest jonny-jo
I have the Vista 32 OS and, yes, I do run FSX in DX10 preview most of the time but I sometimes turn it off because some of the runways are flashing and the taxiway arrows do not show up when taxiing to a gate (known issues with DX10 preview). But the flashing is not at every airport so I can tolerate it most of the time. I do enjoy seeing shadows in the cockpit while flying as it gives a deeper immersion into the sim and I like the fact it provides better fps. It's nothing to really get excited by though and I hope FS11 has DX11 fully programmed into the sim w/o the issues we have seen in DX10.Best regards,Jim
I have a result!, I have installed new display drivers being 178.24 and can now access DX10 preview, just hope the drivers are stable, thanks everybody for all your assistance! Having had a very quick flight, I'm right in saying that aircraft textures i.e bitmaps don't show? only DDS....Thanks againHarry