Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest JNS

Nickn, Two Setup Questions

Hi, Nick. I've finally got my system built and was looking at your FSX setup tips (for XP users). I'm running Vista 64 and was planning on getting Ultimate Defrag. I see where you are using O&O defragging. I stumbled across one post which mentioned to not use the O&O defragging tips if using Vista. Therefore, I have three questions (I know, I said two in the title, but couldn't change it later :) ):1. Is Ultimate Defrag 1.72 a viable alternative?2. Do you have a new list of setup tips consolidated for Vista 64 users? 3. Is RealTemp suitable for i7 processors?Thanks,Jeff

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I am not Nick, but I can tell you that I use O&O 8.6 with Vista 64bit and it works very well. There is a version available for Vista64 that you can try at O&O site (version 8.6 that is).If I remember correctly Nick said that O&O Defrag 8.6 for 32 or 64bit are the ONLY versions that do the NAME defrag correctly.Hope this helps,Pierre

Hi, Nick. I've finally got my system built and was looking at your FSX setup tips (for XP users). I'm running Vista 64 and was planning on getting Ultimate Defrag. I see where you are using O&O defragging. I stumbled across one post which mentioned to not use the O&O defragging tips if using Vista. Therefore, I have three questions (I know, I said two in the title, but couldn't change it later :) ):1. Is Ultimate Defrag 1.72 a viable alternative?2. Do you have a new list of setup tips consolidated for Vista 64 users? 3. Is RealTemp suitable for i7 processors?Thanks,Jeff
Jeff.. you can use O&O with Vista... recheck the first 2 posts as I edited them for those who wish to optimize the best they can with Vista and there is a list of items at the end of the 2nd post you may wish to review before following that list and shut them down at the same time the list indicates which services are to be shut downhttp://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Ya...?num=1208959973You can use O&O and I would prefer v8.6 over 11 however if v11 is the only version you can get (I think they still sell keys ofor 8.6) then simply do not run any SPACE defrags after the first SPACE defrag pass I listed.. and do not run any space defrag after that.. Only the offline and NAME defragWith v8.6 you can use the SPACE defrag for quick cleanups between monthly/bi-monthly NAME defrags which take longer to accomplish.You need the latest version of CPUz for correct bloomfield ID and be careful too becasue they are in the process of updating the software out there for i7 and I have noticed Realtemp/Coretemp not reading consistantUse Real temp 2.89.5 or higher and let me send you to a thread for that information...http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpo...;postcount=2731http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpo...;postcount=2732http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpo...;postcount=2735Even the BIOS have been questioned over the last month CoreTemp is out for now so do not use thatOnce you get Windows/system optimized.. read this post and follow the links for settings.. use those posts to tune FSXhttp://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_post...D=163672#163672http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_post...D=163716#163716Its just my opinion but I thin Ultimate defrag is a bit overrated and can actually make things worse if you dont learn what to do and not to do with it... I like O&O... sweet and simple and does the job everytime

Thank you, sir. I actually had stumbled across the xtremesystems threads and have already downloaded v2.9 of RealTemp. I just need to go back and slowly read the first two Simviation posts. And, I guess O&O defragger it is. Tomorrow I start installing software.And Pierre, thanks for your response, too.Jeff

Nick, I've been going over all of your great setup tips and a basic question has popped up in my mind. I realize all of the system setup tips are to optimize everything for FSX, but I was wondering if these changes will be detrimental to the system when trying to do other gaming, not that I plan on much of that, maybe Crysis. In any case I still plan on letting FSX take priority. I'm just thinking if I should go full tilt for FSX or compromise a little if I'm going to use this computer for much other than FSX. Please don't take this question the wrong way as I did build this computer for FSX and very much appreciate all of the tips, but wasn't aware of all the system tweaks that might be needed and don't know how they all interact with other programs.And, BTW, thanks for your "Christmas gift" regarding GEX that I read about on another forum.Jeff

Nick, I've been going over all of your great setup tips and a basic question has popped up in my mind. I realize all of the system setup tips are to optimize everything for FSX, but I was wondering if these changes will be detrimental to the system when trying to do other gaming, not that I plan on much of that, maybe Crysis. In any case I still plan on letting FSX take priority. I'm just thinking if I should go full tilt for FSX or compromise a little if I'm going to use this computer for much other than FSX. Please don't take this question the wrong way as I did build this computer for FSX and very much appreciate all of the tips, but wasn't aware of all the system tweaks that might be needed and don't know how they all interact with other programs.And, BTW, thanks for your "Christmas gift" regarding GEX that I read about on another forum.Jeff
Not sure what you are talking aboutthe only changes I have ever discussed that may have a negative effect on another game is the driver settings... and then in that case what you do is establish a profile in Nhancer for that gameEverything else I posted will make ANY application/game run faster

Not sure what you are talking aboutthe only changes I have ever discussed that may have a negative effect on another game is the driver settings... and then in that case what you do is establish a profile in Nhancer for that gameEverything else I posted will make ANY application/game run faster
Perfect. I was hoping that would be the case. I didn't know about saving the profiles in Nhancer (2.4.2) which I just downloaded today along with O&O 8.6 and CPU-Z 1.4.9.Thanks,Jeff