XP or Vista for FS9  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Please select in which OS are you flying FS9:

• XP32
    • XP64
    • Vista32
    • Vista64

Guest SteffenG
I don't really know why this is happening, by FS9 tends to freeze. Sound continues, but picture is frozen, no error from OS. Sometimes memory usage is high, sometimes pretty low (even around 1,1GB).Those freezes are really annoying, even happened on a very short flight (below 30min) in South America, where I only have FSGenesis as mesh installed. No sceneries or anything.Also very funny thing, running ......Thought of giving Vista a change, but the fact is, I always liked XP better ;)
Hi Word Not Allowed ! Hi all !This is so weird ! Exactly these freezes made me scan the forums to find some remedy for that and it lead me to here. But guess what, I voted for XP32.... :( I sold my Vista 64 Ultimate a couple of weeks ago because I like XP more and experience less problems with the good old XP system. Well, now that I recently bought a new NVidia GTX280 1GB RAM graphics I experienced stuttering all of a sudden I never hab before. I found no solution and blamed that DirX 9c upgrade (Ver 9.25.1476 date 05.12.2008) I lately found and installed. Suddenly I had severe stuttering even under frame rates of about 60 and above....(XP 32 still) and this phenomenon you reported as well. :( What is it ? I don't know. After research and frustration I finally formatted c: and made a tiny new XP SP2 installation and continued with the upgrade to SP3 and everything. Now I have the stuttering / freezing even when I activate t/o thrust on the runway and the rumbling begins meanwhile I still have top framrates of 60+ And it is only a default FS2004 9.1 (blank) installation without any supplement. What is it ? Do you know a remedy for that ?Is it the new GTX280 ? (But it worked some days quite fine !!!) Is it the new Nvidia driver 180.48 ? What causes that painful and weird reactions of FS2004 ? With my old GF8800 GTS and an older driver I didn't have that trouble. Should I switch back (I already sold the card) or to ATI HD4870 2x ? I actually don't know what to do !Somebody help please ! :( Blue skies ! Steffen

Hmm. At the risk of flame-o-rama, I'm going against the crowd on Vista. Sure, pre SP1, it was a pig. I got an OEM version, and took it off my machine as it was so bad. But I've been limited to a laptop the last three months, and use Vista exclusively on that (it's running an XP VM, XP still has uses - it helps me support friends and colleagues with XP problems). I like Vista post SP1, and I imagine that SP2 will improve things further. Yeah, the bells and whistles do look nice, and I am sure that's a big factor, but it does seem more stable than XP ever was; I don't like it for the DRM bloat that infests it, and to be fair, that's a lot of the problem with its performance - I understand that Win7 has done away with all that, which could explain its improved performance. Vista is, when working "just so", really rather good. That said, the h/w on the laptop isn't good enough for FS, so when my PC's arrive over here in NZ next week, I'll be back to using XP32 for FS9, Vistax64 for FSX!

Louise

London, UK