Sign in to follow this  
rhodges

Cd/dvd Drive Question?

I have two drives as follow in my system.Drive D: Reads and Writes to both CD's and DVD's.Drive E: Reads and Writes to CD's and reads DVD's.In the past, I have used either to write to CD's either with the WindowsXP default provisions, or more often with Nero.I also for some time kept my FS9 Disk 4 in Drive E and it was recognized with no problem when I cranked up FS9. Other disks were also recognized and operated normally.Presently, for some reason drive E will not recognize any data CD or DVD, including new blank disks, various commercial flight simulator addon disks, nor my FS9 Disk 4. My experience over the years has been that CD and DVD drives have seemed to be the weakest link relative to hardware and I have had to replace several on different computers. Therefore I am suspicious of drive E. However, what confuses me with Drive E is that I can put a commercial audio disk in and it immediately autoplays with no problem. It just will not recognize that a blank or data disk is even in the drive. My setup is the same on each drive.Drive D has no problem and performs all functions normally.I also have wondered if possibly one of the Windows Updates negates all drives except one for the functions that will not work. This would seem to be unlikely as it would negate any possibility of copying from one drive to the other as well.Has anyone else ever had this issue, and possibly knows what my problem is.Thanks:RTH

Wonder did the "region" get changed? Just guessing, maybe the region you're set to will read the audio CD like you say. But not the other ones. Just a shot in the dark.There was also something about updating to SP3 screwing up drives. Maybe that happened?Also, sigh, sometimes the RIA or "copyright" software police do shxt to your computer to disable drives that can write.. did you install anything funny?And last, with new drives being down to $19.95, I personally wouldnt spend much time on it. Just get a new one.. dont you think? I mean, your per hour work time is probably worth more than that.... :)

I have two drives as follow in my system.Drive D: Reads and Writes to both CD's and DVD's.Drive E: Reads and Writes to CD's and reads DVD's.In the past, I have used either to write to CD's either with the WindowsXP default provisions, or more often with Nero.I also for some time kept my FS9 Disk 4 in Drive E and it was recognized with no problem when I cranked up FS9. Other disks were also recognized and operated normally.Presently, for some reason drive E will not recognize any data CD or DVD, including new blank disks, various commercial flight simulator addon disks, nor my FS9 Disk 4. My experience over the years has been that CD and DVD drives have seemed to be the weakest link relative to hardware and I have had to replace several on different computers. Therefore I am suspicious of drive E. However, what confuses me with Drive E is that I can put a commercial audio disk in and it immediately autoplays with no problem. It just will not recognize that a blank or data disk is even in the drive. My setup is the same on each drive.Drive D has no problem and performs all functions normally.I also have wondered if possibly one of the Windows Updates negates all drives except one for the functions that will not work. This would seem to be unlikely as it would negate any possibility of copying from one drive to the other as well.Has anyone else ever had this issue, and possibly knows what my problem is.Thanks:RTH

Thanks for the reply Kim:I am afraid I am going to have to plead ignorance concering the "region". I am not sure I know what is meant by that term.Concerning adding anything "funny" that might have copywrite prevention, I don't think so. I have added an occasional Flight Sim addon, but nothing that one would think would have any effect on CD/DVD drives. Also, both drives are "LG" manufactured so it somewhat surprises me that this issue would deter one while allowing the other to continue to perform normally.Relative to just getting a new drive, I think that is probably the best suggestion. As mentioned in my original post, I have had to do that before on various computers and they have proved to be the weakest link in my experience relative to hardware reliability. However, in each of those cases the failure occured for all applicable media. I may try changing the designation ("slave or master") and the connection first to see what happens, but will then probably trash the drive in question. No biggie as my other drive has no problem.Happy flying:RTH

Just for future readers info, region can be found in the drive properties/hardware/properies/dvd region tabs. The US is region 1. It was just a wild guess. I have 3 right now with the symptoms you describe. PITA I say.

Thanks again Kim:I appreciate the information. I checked my regions and both drives do list "Region 1".Happy Flying:RTH

Just for future readers info, region can be found in the drive properties/hardware/properies/dvd region tabs. The US is region 1. It was just a wild guess. I have 3 right now with the symptoms you describe. PITA I say.