Sign in to follow this  
Guest JimBrown

Pulled The Trigger

Guest JimBrown

My darling wife surprised me this year with a neat little toy. Anyone think FSX will run on this?http://www.hardwarecentral.com/hardwarecen...cle.php/3767731 :( In other news, I pulled the trigger on a new system for FSX (and video editing.) After lots and lots of reading, and a slight cutback in my budget, plus waiting for the boxing day sales to begin (that might be a Canadian thing...) I've submitted an order for the following:Intel core i7 920Asus P6T DeluxeMushkin DDR3 3x2GB 7-8-7-20BFG GTX 260 Maxcore OCThermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (with fan)Western Digital 640gb hard driveLG DVD+RW SATAPC Power & Cooling Silencer 750wCoolerMaster HAF caseI already have the monitors, keyboard, mouse and external drive. Also Vista Ultimate. (64bit to be installed on this.)My budget ending up being $2,000 (plus taxes.) The above, with some components on sale, came in at $1,993.97. Yay! This past Tuesday (the 23rd), these same components were just under $2,300. Glad I waited. :( Plus, two of the components have mail in rebates totalling $85.00.I have a feeling that this just might run FSX a bit better than my current P4 3.2ghz/Asus P4P800/7600GT/2gb ram/Vista 32bit. :( The only fly in the ointment is that the Mushkin is on backorder. Sure hope it doesn't take too long to arrive!Now, to exercise some patience.In the mean time, I think I'll go grab that FSXMark07 benchmark program and run it on this old machine. Once the new machine is completed, I'll run the benchmark with FSX configured as much as possible the same as on the old machine. Then OC the new machine and see what difference that makes. Then see how far I can move the sliders and keep the experience looking good.Will come back when all that is done and let you know how it goes.Later,...jim

Way to go! That's sweet. I had a similar system in mind for a Merry Christmas to Me but I decided not to go there yet. You got the premium stuff that's for sure.

Just make sure the 120 cooler has the 1366 conversion kit, so it will work with your mobo socket....like this one:http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/thlgboreboxb.html

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest JimBrown

Thank you for the advice.Fortunately, I ordered the new Ultra 120 that is designed (or redesigned) for the L1336 socket.Regards,...jim