Sign in to follow this  
lawinge2

Clouds Switch From Stratus To Cumulus Every 3 Minutes

Everything is working great in ASA, FPS, better depiction of haze, and good IMC in clouds to list a few. My problem is clouds keep alternating from cumulus to stratus and back to cumulus at 3 minutes or so intervals. There is no depiction of clouds approaching, just a sudden shift from being in the clouds at 6000 to being over a low stratus layer and then back to in the cumulus- no sense of approaching clouds. Is there anything to cure this.I tried enabling more weather stations last night. It didn't help.

Hi,Please turn the 4 cloud sliders to zero and see if that helps.Thanks,

Changing the four cloud sliders to zero stopped the switching from stratus to cumulus. I did a flight last night with the most complete overcast conditions I've seen in FSX and very little donut hole effect around the airplane. Combined with the turbulence in the clouds it was very challenging. Thanks so much for your help.Since the stratus/cumulus problem is solved I've noticed another problem. When approaching clouds everything looks great until about ten miles away when the clouds pop around the plane. When I look back the clouds are behind me where there were no clouds before. It's as if the clouds suddenly moved. Once surrounded by clouds though everything looks great except for some popping as the clouds shifted to more overcast and thicker cumulus. Is there a tweak to decrease the popping.

Hi,Same problem here on FSX : ASA depicts weather accurately (I'm flying now in Chile/Bolivia/Argentina), but approximately every ten minutes, the clouds flicker to another pattern : sometimes, a thick layer of cumulus appears, sometimes a layer abruptly disappears. In flight, the period seems to be exactly 10 minutes, but on the ground, it seems to be different. I continue testing...What I did up to now : pull the 4 cloud sliders to zero, disable the virtual stations and the flight plan enhanced coverage, and disable the weather options of FSUIPC 4.40, but this behavior remains the same.Please ask if I can help for troubleshooting... ThanksAlain

Hi,Same problem here on FSX : ASA depicts weather accurately (I'm flying now in Chile/Bolivia/Argentina), but approximately every ten minutes, the clouds flicker to another pattern : sometimes, a thick layer of cumulus appears, sometimes a layer abruptly disappears. In flight, the period seems to be exactly 10 minutes, but on the ground, it seems to be different. I continue testing...What I did up to now : pull the 4 cloud sliders to zero, disable the virtual stations and the flight plan enhanced coverage, and disable the weather options of FSUIPC 4.40, but this behavior remains the same.Please ask if I can help for troubleshooting... ThanksAlain
You probably got Global mode on (which is done when you enable the smoothing options. From the manual:In global mode, occasional flickers may be noticed approximately every 10 minutes as the FSX global weather depiction system is re-populated in order to show changed weather. This is normal.I though smoothing would PREVENT this from happening... but it seems that with or without smoothing, you will get things like this...?

OK, I should have re-read the whole user's manual, sorry...But I agree with you, smoothing should prevent this kind of "hard" transitions.In FS9, we had the "local suppression range" in which all cloud depiction changes were forbidden : I do not understand how this is done in FSX : apparently nothing is done, and visibility smoothing has been preferred to this kind of "cloud pops-in or pops-out".Do we have really to choose between the two ?Alain