Sign in to follow this  
RoyH

New Vista User

HiAfter much research I have invested in a new PC and thought members might be interested in results.Intel 2 Duo Core E8600 (2X3.33Ghz)8 GB RAM1024 MB NVidia GEFORCE 9800GT 640GB Hard Drive with 16MB CacheWindows 64bit Home PremiumRuns FS9 with all sliders to the right maxed out at 70 FPS - even in cloud. I always set the max FPS just below what the system achieves as this seems to work well.No problems with FS9.Installed 737NG - I have a couple of small bugs that I am working through.Cannot access PMDG - Options in Full Screen Mode - only works in normal windows modeMouse cursor is black whilst moving across cockpit (not outside scenery)Nose wheel steering is too sensitive - movies 70 degrees left /right with minimal input (Saitek X52 pro)Apart from that works great. Runs at 60 + FPS and have reset FPS to 58 in line with my rule above. I then installed 747-400. This had exactly the same issues as 737-800 plus it was not possible to keep any changed keyboard commands. I de-installed both aircraft and re-installed 737-800 whilst I sort things out. (the 737-800/900 is a great aircraft and I think under-rated)My initial thoughts:-To run FS you need fast dual core processor, lots of RAM and a graphics card with as much memory as you can get cost effectively Vista is the future - probably Vista 64bit because of it's ability to use the additional RAMI did anticipate a few issues but this is not unusual with Flight Simming and add ons. It does take a while for all the drivers, fixes and work arounds etc. catch up. Running at high FPS does make the flying easier - e.g turns without any gain or loss of height - fly final approaches at -800 feet per second vertical speed With improved graphics you seem to spend more time looking out of the windowNow that my graphics have improved I want more. Could be time to upgrade my monitor ( current one has a max resolution of 1280 X 1024 ) Because of the graphics also thinking about FSX !!!!!

I have been using Vista64 for a couple of months with none of the above problems. At first, I had to play with administrator rights and make sure all the PMDG folders had 'em and I finally turned off that annoying UAC. Other than that absolutely no problems with either FS9, FSX, 737NG, 747X, MD11X and the MD11 FS9 beta. I am also using ASX, XGraphics and FSBuild2, and oh yes can't forget registered FSUIPC for both FS versions.

Dan Downs KCRP