Sign in to follow this  
Guest abent

Looking for Frank Betts...

Guest abent

Hi Frank (assuming you get this), I recently downloaded one of your Canadian Short Legs packs - the one with CYSE, Tipella, and Pemberton. I love them! These add a lot to my flying experience around Rockies. Thanks for them.I was wondering if you are aware of a scenery for CYAZ (Tofino) and/or CYGB (Gillies Bay) that anyone has created. Or, if you plan to do it/them. I amuse myself by pretending that I operate a small airline based out of Victoria and service a lot a small towns/resorts etc. I use Milton Schupe's Commander 520. Perfect plane for such work.Also, I tried to get to your website, but I get a dead link.Thanks again, Adam

Guest Frank Betts

Hello Adam, thanks for the very kind words sir. Hmmm.. I am not aware of those places being enhanced. I'll look it over and see what i can come up with. Hey thanks Dogknot for the help. :-smile12 . We had a power outage here today (Sunday) from 11 o'clock till about 7 I am back up again. Sorry for the inconvenience.:-smile12

....Tofino....hmmm....short of the small hanger for Tofino Air, I don't think there's much left there except that big triangulated runway. It was probably a lot more built up during the WW-2...there's old concrete footings all over the place....Maybe there's a terminal or other hangers...but standing in front of Tofino Air last summer, I couldn't see anything else except trees. Lots of BIG trees....However...why let reality get in the way of imaginative fun. The existing Tofino strip would make an interesting super-bush-flying resort hub....And Frank Betts, allow me to add my voice to the chorus of thank-you's. Your terrific work really adds a lot to these imaginative destinations in my own real world backyard. Good looking, truly funky, and fun.

Guest abent

Thanks Frank. That'd be great if you could put a couple buildings in there and maybe a few of Gerrish's trees. Really spruces up an airport no pun intended! :( I like the changes you made to the other airports. Certainly gives a more realistic feel.Lt, IS there an airport in Tofino at all now? I got the impression by your explanation that it's shut down. Am I understanding you correctly? In any event, I agree that it would make a great hub for bush flying.Adam

Guest RobA

(edited to spell my name right! lol )Hi Frank, Just wanted to add my thanks for your great scenery enhancements! I'm enjoying them immensely. :-) I think there is a scenery for Kelowna at the north end of Lake Okanogon and I did one for Penticton (cyyf.zip at avsim) that may add to the general area.Best regards,Rob Abernathy

Guest Rockcliffe

>I amuse myself by pretending that I operate a small airline based out of Victoria and service a lot a small towns/resorts etc

Hi Abent,...Yep...the airport at Tofino is operational and uncontrolled. There's reasonably active light G.A. traffic there most days, including a Pilatus PC-12 that seems to be running fast return service from Pat Bay (Sydney/Victoria)...There's some government snowplows and maintenance equipment in a yard right at the airport gate, but other than the Tofino Air structure, I didn't see much else. (A pa-28 under a portable plastic carport...??) The responsibility for the place has recently changed hands from Transport Canada (federal) to the Alberni/Clayoquot Regioal District. That may be good or bad, time will tell.....Just now google-searching around, I've found out that there is a proper terminal, well away from the back gate (where I was), it's apparrently right at the adjacent Tofono/Long Beach Golf course...along with a car rental agency.(Too uptown for me....)....Here's a little basic info about the place:http://www.wapf.com/world/CYAZ.html....And a page full a snaphots of the seedy side of Tofino airport...more vintage structures than I knew existed.http://www.pinetreeline.org/photos/p43-98.html....Note: The Tofino Air building is a veritable treasure trove of DHC-2 parts, including a mostly complete Beaver airframe suspended from the rafters....you'd never know looking at it's exterior.

Guest abent

Yes, the more you engage in this hobby, the more you demand from it, hence the desire/need to fabricate things such as mini airlines. This is a good thing IMO. I'm going to look at FSMaintenance and also ACLoader and see if I can create, for fun, my own little airline complete with revenue, operating expenses and whatever other factors I can come up with. A bit of research will be required ofcourse. Naturally, my little company will offer charters as I would get bored of doing the same circuit all the time and being the chief pilot and owner, I will get to do these flights. I agree that Vancouver Island, and most of BC, for that matter, offers the best of flying (virtually) in all of Canada. The mountains are spectacular, even without Mesh add-ons, which I do intend to investigate in the not too distant future.Rob, I will pick up your Penticton scenery. Thanks.And thanks to all who responded.Adam

Hello fellow Islanders and Island fans! If you like flying the BC Coast, you should visit Ray Hallock's web site: http://www.eagles-nest.net/rayair. Click on the download link to see the fantastic Island scenery ray has created. He didn't do Tofino airport, but there's a great Tofino Harbour there. And his Nanaimo scenery is simply amazing.

Guest abent

Hi Flyer_Ken, Thanks for the site. Great scenery, however I have one question for you. How do you find the fps with this scenery. I installed Nanaimo Harbour scenery and went from 28fps (default) to 7 fps (very choppy) when the scenery was loaded. Do you think I have done something wrong in the isntallation? How do you find the frame rate?I hope it's something I've done because it does look very nice.Adam

Hi Adam, sorry, I should have mentioned that. Nanaimo is particularly brutal on the frame rates. Tofino is better. I'm running a pretty fast machine (2.4 GHz P4, Radeon 9700), and I get 10 - 14 fps with the Nanaimo scenery, which is flyable. One thing you could do is just install part of the Nanaimo scenery, like just the downtown.

Guest abent

Thanks for the links Lt.Adam

Guest abent

Thanks. I'll try the Tofino scenery. I've also got a 2.4 but a GeForce 4 TI4200. Nanaimo is WAY too much of a hit for my liking. I can run 23-25 fps with the Mosher Brother's sceneries which are very highly detailed. Must have to do with the high poly textures, or the number of them.Thanks again, Adam