Sign in to follow this  

I have been using ASv6.5 since its release and my introduction to Flight Simming and after viewing screenshots for the new ASA I decided to upgrade. I use both FS9 and FSX and I have been leaning towards using FSX now that there are some decent payware airplanes that are available. Now for my question. I see Real Environment eXtreme, Flight1's Flight Environment and Ultimate Terrain for FSX is available and I am in the process of trying to decide which one or which ones to purchase. In looking at some of the screenshots on the HiFi Sim website, I see that many of the screenshots are using all of the above either indiviually or separate. What does each do that the other doesn't? I know when I downloaded the free Real Environment that was available it replaced my texture files, does each of these programs do that. If so, will FEX overwrite REX if I install it after installing REX? I don't see a reason why I would need them all, but maybe I am wrong. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.Thanks,John

John P. Navara

PP ASEL-IA - 1967 V35 N480H

Complex, HP & Tailwheel endorsements

https://twitch.tv/Sim_Dude

I have been using ASv6.5 since its release and my introduction to Flight Simming and after viewing screenshots for the new ASA I decided to upgrade. I use both FS9 and FSX and I have been leaning towards using FSX now that there are some decent payware airplanes that are available. Now for my question. I see Real Environment eXtreme, Flight1's Flight Environment and Ultimate Terrain for FSX is available and I am in the process of trying to decide which one or which ones to purchase. In looking at some of the screenshots on the HiFi Sim website, I see that many of the screenshots are using all of the above either indiviually or separate. What does each do that the other doesn't? I know when I downloaded the free Real Environment that was available it replaced my texture files, does each of these programs do that. If so, will FEX overwrite REX if I install it after installing REX? I don't see a reason why I would need them all, but maybe I am wrong. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.Thanks,John
UTX deals mainly with roads and placement of ground structures, racetracks, parkinglots, etc.FEX & REX are similar in that they both provide cloud, sky, water and airport ground textures. Rex has a basic weather engine and flight lpanner which FEX does not.If you simply installed one over the other, then the last one loaded would be the one in use. However, they have many options - for example you could select cumulus clouds from REX, stratus and water from FEX, and airport textures from XGraphics and by using the snapshot function in ASA - get the best of them all.Only you can decide which looks best to you so try different combinations until you find the one(s) that you like.USing ASA you have the benefit of saving multiple snapshots of different combinations for instant later use.Then there are products like GEX and FSGenesis and others which provide enhanced ground textures.Myself, I have, in no specific order - ASA, FEX, REX, UTX, GEX, XGraphics, FSGenesis, SceneryTech Europe Landclass and FSWater Configurator all happily working together.Have fun

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

John:To expand on what vgbaron has said, you can use all of the above add ons in combination with ASA. Points to note:1. UTX is its own stand alone product. A must have in my opinion, it provides a very realistic landclass and then overlays accurate roads and shorelines. This is the add on to use if you want to your FSX world to match up with your VFR sectional.2. FEX and REX both offer common high-def texture replacements for clouds and water. The clouds are very similar in my opinion, but both very good. The water in REX surpasses any other add on if you ask me. To boot, REX has airport environment/lighting and sun textures right now...FEX coming soon. And of course, REX also has a weather engine to boot.The beauty of ASA is that since I already own all of them, I can mix and match my favorite clouds, water, and airport environments in a snapshot and get the best of each. If I didn't currently own all of these, I would definitely go with UTX, then add either FEX or REX. I also own XGraphics which offers all of the above as well. I would check out the screenshots from each texture add on and decide which one appeals to you most. Regards,Tim

Thanks for your answers. Your opinions are appreciated. I don't need a weather generator as I am using ASA. I will look into UTX and will probably go with FEX. I like having products from the same company.John

John P. Navara

PP ASEL-IA - 1967 V35 N480H

Complex, HP & Tailwheel endorsements

https://twitch.tv/Sim_Dude