Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jerryuscg

To Alex Reid

A special thanks to Alex for giving me the inspriration to move to the 3 monitor setup. I now have a great new FS2004 rig made by Jetline Systems and I run it with 3 ViewSonic 26" monitors. Alex has been telling us for months and years how great multi-monitor systems were. I tried to learn from him all I could about how to assemble a computer for 3 monitors, but just couldn't quite figgure out all of the hardware requirements. Jetline did it all for me. I told them what I wanted and they did all of the rest; built me a dream rig that uses three video cards in the new computer. Once you fly with 3 monitors it is hard, if not impossibe to fly with just one again. I used to fly 95% of the time with the "spot" or outside view to enjoy the land/scenery and almost never flew in the vertiual cotpit VC mode. Now with three monitors its just the opposite. I always fly in the VC mode and never in the 2D / spot mode. My dream plane at the moment is the Caranado Moody which has the best VC I've ever seen. You have EVERY thing you need in the VC mode and a couple of things I've never seen in a VC panel before. The Garman GPS is "constructed" inside the panel its self and you do not have to "call it up". (but to see it bigger, you can). Also the The "UP" and "DOWN" for the feet per minute AP works and is not a dummy like on most panels.The one part of using three monitors that I'd like to find is a "fix" for setting up the three differant views EVERY time I start a flight. You can save a flight and you do not have to "drag" a new view to the right and left hand monitors, BUT to do have to move the outside monitors HOROZONAL veiws to get a continual view across all three monitors. You only have to do this ONCE, each time you start FS2004. If you move to a differant airport the views remain lined up correctly. If you turn off FS2004, you must realign the right and left hand views again. I can NOT find a way to automaticly recall these "aligned views up. Alex, do you have away to do this?Another point that I didnt understand , while doing my 3 monitor research is the fact that you can have ANY of the 4 DIFFERANT views( panal, spot, VC, tower) on ANY of the three monitors, at any time. That is you can have the VC panel on all three monitors, outside views on left and right and 2D or VC panel in center, outside views on left and right and spot view in the center, or tower view in the center. YOU CAN MIX AND MACTH ANY OF THE 4 DIFFERANT VIEWS ON ANY OF THE THREE DIFFERANT MONITORS AT ANY TIME. NOTE: ALL OF THESE VIEWS ARE IN THE WINDOW MODE AND NOT THE "FULL VIEW" MODE !!! Also in the left and right views you can show parts of the aircraft like seeing parts of the left and right windows and/or wings. I have found that sometimes I get bad flashing of the outside views if parts of the aircraft are in the view( like windows or wing parts). This has been 99% fixed by NOT showing any aircraft parts in the left/right views and I have the VC view in the center. I like this setup the best as I have the VC in the center with ALL of the "click points" that I need and a unbelievable view of the earth in 2- 26 inch monitors on the left and right sides !!!!!!So to end this long review I can just say, thanks to Alex Reid for lighting the fire under me to have this three monitor rig made for me and a special thanks to Jetline Systems for the great rig. By the way, my FPS outside of big airports are about 40 to 45 and drop to about 18-22 near airports with extra AI and USA mesh installed and all settings MAXED out. Below is a screen shot of my VC Moody over New Orleans ,LA.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The one part of using three monitors that I'd like to find is a "fix" for setting up the three differant views EVERY time I start a flight. You can save a flight and you do not have to "drag" a new view to the right and left hand monitors, BUT to do have to move the outside monitors HOROZONAL veiws to get a continual view across all three monitors. You only have to do this ONCE, each time you start FS2004. If you move to a differant airport the views remain lined up correctly. If you turn off FS2004, you must realign the right and left hand views again. I can NOT find a way to automaticly recall these "aligned views up. Alex, do you have away to do this?Another point that I didnt understand , while doing my 3 monitor research is the fact that you can have ANY of the 4 DIFFERANT views( panal, spot, VC, tower) on ANY of the three monitors, at any time. That is you can have the VC panel on all three monitors, outside views on left and right and 2D or VC panel in center, outside views on left and right and spot view in the center, or tower view in the center. YOU CAN MIX AND MACTH ANY OF THE 4 DIFFERANT VIEWS ON ANY OF THE THREE DIFFERANT MONITORS AT ANY TIME. NOTE: ALL OF THESE VIEWS ARE IN THE WINDOW MODE AND NOT THE "FULL VIEW" MODE !!! Also in the left and right views you can show parts of the aircraft like seeing parts of the left and right windows and/or wings. I have found that sometimes I get bad flashing of the outside views if parts of the aircraft are in the view( like windows or wing parts). This has been 99% fixed by NOT showing any aircraft parts in the left/right views and I have the VC view in the center. I like this setup the best as I have the VC in the center with ALL of the "click points" that I need and a unbelievable view of the earth in 2- 26 inch monitors on the left and right sides !!!!!!
-------Jerry- Thanks for your kind comments- I'm delighted to hear of another simmer who is now enjoying the real potential of Flight Sim. NO MORE TUNNEL VISION!!!!There always seems to be a bit of tweaking of the views each time I start up so as to get everything perfectly aligned. One trick is to change keyboard assignments for the NUM KB . If you set Look Fwd Left to Shift+Num7, Look Fwd Right to Shift+Num9 and Look Fwd to Shift+Num8, a single key stroke will set-AND LOCK the view for each mon- num lock on of course. (the default settings use Control+ a num key - and this requires two strokes to set/lock!!!!) My right most view never starts up correctly- so a single num keystoke is necessary to get correct view. And there is always on startup or loading a different plane, very minor postioning of the views to get details like joints in the tarmac to line up perfectly across adjacent mons. But all this takes less than a minute.Also spend some time getting the bezel width adjustment factor spot on. Find a building in main view that is wider than the bezel separation between mons. With a piece of paper place LIGHT pencil marks to show width of that building. Then Slew Rotate so the building straddles the bezels- a portion on both mons. Now adjust z value in panel config so the straddled building width is same as unstraddled. (In Panel Cfg: VIEW_FWD_LEFTor right_DIR= x,y,z)Are your outer monitors angled 45