Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Robert Tyree

Fsx Aircfraft Installer Assistance

Hello,Does anyone have any experience on FSX aircraft installers? We are having an hard time with the installer and the fsx aircraft. Thanks

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hello,Does anyone have any experience on FSX aircraft installers? We are having an hard time with the installer and the fsx aircraft. Thanks
What is specifically going wrong? Are you using your own installation code or some third-party installer solution. I'm not entirely sure but doesn't Microsoft Visual Studio have a Wizard-based style installer tool to help you in deploying your software?Your question also brings to mind an aspect of Flight Simulator addon installation procedures that often makes me cringe, that of forcing the user to manually specifiy where the Flight Simulator installation path is in your system when all this is programmatically gleanable (is that a real word) from the Windows Registry.Also, is the AVSIM forum database about to explode, I keep getting long waits if I decide to use the edit function and I keep getting the odd error message along the lines of "IPS Database error".

I suspect that many (most?) use the ClickTeam installer builder. It is a very robust program and is able to handle just about any task you need it to accomplish. I'll admit that the documetation is a bit on the "sketchy" side, especially when it comes to grabbing the necessary data from the Registry (such as the user's default path to FS9 or FSX), but it does work quite well!Also, it is totally free to use for freeware or commercial products, but the "registered version" gets rid of the nag screens and allows fully customization... ;)