Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Annoying texture shading problem - any ideas?

I've seen that too....It seems related to the dynamic texture "blurries", in the sense that it comes and goes on my system... Tends to happen more often in faster and/or complex aircraft, or after slewing for me... But I've seen this issue, so you're not alone...

If I am not mistaken, this has to do with texture load. Try increasing your cache (senery cache) to 500 megs or more if you have it to spare.Best Wishes, Randy J. Smith[h5]San Jose Ca[/h5][h3]" A little learning is a dangerous thing"[/h3]AMD XP 2200 |MUNCHKIN 512 DDR RAM |ECS[/b ][i] K7S5A MB[/i] |GF3 64 MEG |WIN XP PRO |MITSUBISHI DIAMOND PLUS 91 19"

"If I am not mistaken, this has to do with texture load. Try increasing your cache (senery cache) to 500 megs or more if you have it to spare."The scenery cache will not change this....The scenery cache is for files read off of CD from partial installations. You could put 2000MB there, and it won't effect performance if you've done a full install. I don't know where some of this information comes from, but it certainly doesn't jive with Microsoft's designed functionality of the cache...But, having said that, it does relate to texture load I feel. That it is infrequent means it may be correctable, either with a lower fps lock or slightly lower settings on the sim...

Tom,I have the same thing happening every now and then and what I do is go to Options/Settings/Display and change from Bi-Linear to Tri-Linear (or the other way).That usually takes care of it. I haven't found a permanent solution but this trick always does it for me. I know it's not very convenient, but still better than changing settings where FS2K2 will reload scenery.Hope this helps,Petehttp://members.aol.com/pzsoulman/myhomepage/logo.gifAthlonXP2000,AbitKX7-333(latest4in1),512MB/2700SDRAM,WinXP,DirectX8.1,Geforce3TI200(128MB)(Det.30.82),SBlive(WDM5.1.2601.0)

I9-13900K, RTX 4090, DR5-6000MHZCORSAIR ICUE H150I ELITE, ASUS PRIME Z790-P, THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER GF3 1350W, WIN 11

That screenshot doesn't prove anything.... Just proves you have a box checked.... The scenery will run smoother, if your install is CD based. That's the purpose of the cache...As for "proving" the info regarding the cache, this has been documented for years. Find it yourself.... It's there....Or.....Pick a scenery area you fly over often.... Highlight that scenery in the menu, and choose the "Cache this scenery option". 2k2 will start storing files in the FS2002cache folder. If you have the time, cache all your scenery. If you leave "empty cache on exit off", you will find that 2k2 will eventually store hundreds of files on your HD in this folder, up to the limit specified in the menu.The cache is essentially moving files from one location to another--inefficient when the files are already on the HD, but quite efficient when they are stored on a slower CD. If you don't cache your scenery--which is chosen at install time--the cache folder will remain empty.If you have selected the cache option on your scenery, and its on the hard drive (remember, it's done entry by entry, as the cache amount is just the max HD limit), you are causing FS to do "double-duty", moving files already installed on your HD. Increasing the cache amount will such up resources, as you'll be forcing FS to do this all the time.

Guest sgreenwood

From the FS2000 Scenery SDK:----------------------------------------------------------------------Scenery AreasScenery area entries tell Flight Simulator 2000 where scenery is located. A typical scenery area entry in the Scenery.cfg looks like the following example:&l;Area.077&r;Title=My SceneryLocal=C:My SceneryActive=TRUELayer=77A typical entry in the Scenery.cfg contains the following information:Entry Title&l;Area.XXX&r; when XXX is the scenery area entry number (i.e., 077). XXX must be an unique number.Scenery Title Title=XXXXXX when XXXXXX is the title of the area. This text will be shown under the

Thanks for adding the post, although I was stuck with the notion I had also read it in a KB article. To clarify, the box I referenced in the screenshot only controls the max size of the cache folder, and doesn't enable or disable the cache. That can only be done in each scenery entry. The "empty cache on exit" checkbox will flush the files from the cache folder after each FS use, so they're not stuck there between sessions. Some with partial installs prefer to leave this box unchecked, as FS will search the cache folder first to see if it gets a "hit" on the file it is looking for.About a year ago, I came up with an idea. A forgotten piece of software acted like a RAMDisk, and you could assign a folder on your HD to be read from RAM.... It was a cool concept, and I played with the cache, reasoning that I could "trick" FS into holding frequently used files in RAM more efficiently than the Windows vcache, which seems to have a max limit on how much it can hold.Well, it worked and it didn't. FS loaded faster, but I didn't see any performance improvement (i.e. Texture quality, reduction of dynamic blurries, etc....). That made me more convinced than ever that dynamic blurries were more related to the card's ability to cope with the texture load, and swap them from whatever location, be it RAM or the HD.But, if one had RAM to spare, this could be an interesting way to store all static files, and perhaps could reduce the odd "disk access" stutter that comes up. I am meaning to upgrade my RAM at some point, and it's a plan I intend to test. Someone here did try it, and saw no improvement. But I guess I'd have to see for myself :)

Well you could be correct John C, but where is your proof for this statement The scenery cache is for files read off of CD from partial installations? I know when I increase it to a large amount that FS sucks much more of my resourses and ram. And FYI I don't know where some of this information comes from see screenshotBest Wishes, Randy J. Smith[h5]San Jose Ca[/h5][h3]" A little learning is a dangerous thing"[/h3]AMD XP 2200 |MUNCHKIN 512 DDR RAM |ECS[/b ][i] K7S5A MB[/i] |GF3 64 MEG |WIN XP PRO |MITSUBISHI DIAMOND PLUS 91 19"

Guest Muppet22

AlloScreenshot tells it best, I've had this problem for a while but today I've finally got sufficiently annoyed to do something about it .EDIT: GFX card is a GeForce 4Ti4800 with latest offical drivers (43.45??). All other land based textures display nice and crisply apart from these.TIA