Sign in to follow this  
Mudhendriver

FS9 MD-11 and Realism/Null Settings

First--superb aircraft!One "issue" I've had is sloppy pitch/airspeed control during T/O phase once airborne. The tutorial mentions rotating at 2.5 degrees/sec and follow the pitch bar (tracking FR) then at 400' AGL, press AUTO FLIGHT, followed by PROF at 1500' AGL. It's during the transition from T/O THRUST to PROF that I get a fairly dramatic pitch down that "feels" more like a fighter on climbout than a 500K LB plus aircraft.I've read several other posts referencing the same. The recommendations have been to delay pressing AUTO FLIGHT and manually fly the pitch/FR bar--would that be until 3070' then FMS speed plugs in? The other was to change LSAS/RCWS from the default medium range to less than medium toward light (which seems counter-intuitive).I was curious if the Team or Beta members found a "sweet spot" for where to align realism and null settings within FS9 to mitigate the pitch/airpseed sensitivity on climbout?Thanks.Rich Perry

I didn't need to play with any control settings. My technique, not an offical recommendation, was to set climb power and acceleration values to about 1200 agl (not important but I preferred this) then after rotation to about 12 deg the first thing I do is raise gear on positive rate of climb callout. Then immediately use agressive pitch to keep airspeed at the Fr speed, which I do by watch the green trend line and decrease it then focus on the airspeed itself. I engage autopilot at 400-500 agl. When autopilot is handed the aircraft and the airspeed is stable on or about Fr speed it will smoothly handle the rest. Once reaching acceleration speed (this is the reason I set it lower than default) then I can raise flaps and in a minute up go slats and the exciting part is over.It happens fast, gotta do it a couple of times to get smooth results. It works every time for me.If you give the aircraft to the autopilot with a speed too much above Fr, it will overcontrol everytime. I'm sure there is a better explanation of this but this is coming from a non-turbo rated pilot.

Dan Downs KCRP

I didn't need to play with any control settings. My technique, not an offical recommendation, was to set climb power and acceleration values to about 1200 agl (not important but I preferred this) then after rotation to about 12 deg the first thing I do is raise gear on positive rate of climb callout. Then immediately use agressive pitch to keep airspeed at the Fr speed, which I do by watch the green trend line and decrease it then focus on the airspeed itself. I engage autopilot at 400-500 agl. When autopilot is handed the aircraft and the airspeed is stable on or about Fr speed it will smoothly handle the rest. Once reaching acceleration speed (this is the reason I set it lower than default) then I can raise flaps and in a minute up go slats and the exciting part is over.It happens fast, gotta do it a couple of times to get smooth results. It works every time for me.If you give the aircraft to the autopilot with a speed too much above Fr, it will overcontrol everytime. I'm sure there is a better explanation of this but this is coming from a non-turbo rated pilot.
Thanks Dan...I'm sure I'll get into a solid habit pattern after a few more T/Os. When you say setting climb power and accel values what are you referring to? FLEX derated thrust? Just to get it straight in my cranium--at T/O roll initiation you advance throttles to 70%N1 T/O THRUST should appear, at 80KIAS you get T/O CLAMP--hit VR and rotate to 12 deg pitch--positive rate call from PNF, gear up--then "aggressively" pitch up to follow FR speed--AUTO FLIGHT on at 400-500' AGL--so, at this point, if I'm on FR and select PROF, I should continue to get a stable climbout?Having flown over 2000hrs in real world fighter aircraft (F-15E), I'm used to controlling climbout speed with pitch--in an AB (reheat) climbout I can quickly overspeed the gear after rotation (250KIAS) and therefore use about a 35-45 pitch angle (around 20 degrees indicated in the HUD) to control airspeed.Col (ret) Rich Perry