Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nealoc187

9600GSO vs 9600GT vs 9800GT with E4400 C2D @ 2.9GHz

Guest Nealoc187

I'm needing a new video card as I gave my old card to my sister because hers died on her. I'm basing my choice of one of these three cards on the reviews and video card roundup found here:http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-g...ard,2118-2.htmlMy old vid card was an old ATI X850 Pro AGP 256mb. Performance was bogged down at busy US add-on airports to barely acceptable levels. 12-14FPS on short final at high end add on airports like Flytampa, FSDT KORD, KJFK, etc. Obviously the 9800GT is the fastest card of the three and all three of these are an improvement over my old X850 Pro. I am looking at the 512mb version of all three cards, the 9600 GSO, 9600 GT, and 9800 GT. My question though is with my moderate computer setup, would I notice any appreciable difference in the simulator between the three cards? I'm not concerned with performance in any other games and I'm not concerned with the price, but if - with my setup - I'll get virtually the same performance out of the 9600GSO or 9600GT as I would out of the 9800GT, I'll just save the $25-40 difference. If you guys think there will be a noticeable difference in those areas where things slow down the most (short final at a busy airport with 100-150 AI airliners on the airport and in the air nearby, weather, addons) then I will spend the extra money for the 9800GT.My setup is:E4400 C2D overclocked to 2.92GHzASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA (has both PCI-express and AGP slots)2GB A-Data DDR2 PC6400Windows XP 32-bitFS9.122" Widescreen LCD @ 1650x1080AF and AA: I will run these as high as I can with whichever video card I choose without negatively affecting my flyingI run the following addons:AS6.5GE ProUltimate Terrain USAFERC4.3FSGenesis100% traffic (100-150 planes at major US airports) Project AI Leonardo MD2006 Flight1 ATR72-500FSDT KORD/KJFKFlytampa KMIA, KSEA, KSFO, KSAN, etcThanks,Neal

Guest ppokit

Hi NealI've got a very similar system to yours, and am running an 8800GT (identical in all but name to 9800GT).I went from an X1650PRO to 8800GT and the difference was like night & day!I get good frame rates except for areas like Heathrow, and also heavy weather (clouds).If you're planning on using highish levels of AA definitely go for the 9800GT.Mine's a 512 OC from BFG. It runs quite hot, so the fan can be slightly loud, but other than that I'm really impressed with it.Overall performance depends on your CPU speed - which you've overclocked quite nicely like myself - but I think you'll definitely see an improvement over your X850.RegardsChris

I just have to think that if you are going to spend the money on a 9800gt, then you'll be a whole lot happier if you move up from that e4400. When I went from an e4400 to a e6750... that was huge. Otherwise, probably an 8600 card will do.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Guest Nealoc187

I'd definitely benefit from an upgrade of the processor - that goes without saying, however as it stands right now I have a working processor but no working graphics card - thus the graphics card purchase is required at this point and a processor purchase is not. nvidia 8600s are no faster than the x850 I had before so I'm not considering one of those - waste of money in my opinion. If I go the cheap route it'll be for the 9600GSO - barely more expensive than an 8600GT and worlds more powerful. the question of whether or not I'd see a difference between a 9600GSO, 9600GT and 9800GT though remains.

Guest Nealoc187

Yes, I had a link to that site in my first post. I'm only interested in the three video cards I posted, I'm not spending the money for a 9800GTX+.

Guest CDW63
Yes, I had a link to that site in my first post. I'm only interested in the three video cards I posted, I'm not spending the money for a 9800GTX+.
No problem, you didn't state the $$ amount you were wanting to spend in the original post. I was just pointing out what I recently found on side by side benchmarking specifically for FSX. Good luck on the selection, it appears both the 9600GT and the 9800GT do well for FSX.