Sign in to follow this  
Guest Sinnerman49

FSX and Windows 7?

Tim has described the procedure in this thread:http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?s=&...t&p=1584514Pierre
For FSX users of Win7, BEWARE:With Win7Beta and RC, you cannot simply use the Scenery menu to "Add areas". Goodness knows what's been broken, but you have to go through a weird incantation to get it to work. When adding a scenery folder to FSX you would normally choose the folder and click OK: voila, the scenery would be added to FSX. But under Win7 clicking the OK button just opens the folder: the scenery does not get added to FSX. The solution is this. Before clicking OK, copy the full folder name etc from the box. Then click OK and paste the location back in to the box. Now click anywhere in the white area of the folder list and FSX will recognise the scenery. Very strange.More generally: I have used Vista 64SP1, Win7Beta and now Win7RC. In my experience, a clean installation of Win7 runs fewer services than a clean installation of Vista 64 and the overall snappiness of Win7 is faster than Vista 64. That is NOT the same as saying that individual applications run any faster: I don't think there's an appreciable difference. But the overall experience of using the OS - quicker boot times, faster UI response, prettier and (to me) slightly more intuitive UI, much quicker shut-down times, more reliable use of sleep/hibernate on notebooks and so on - is significantly superior. Further, my own look at Win7's internal operations - while extremely amateur on my part - shows that it uses fewer resources than Vista. By this I mean that in any comparable situation (same applications running etc) there is generally more RAM available in Win 7 than Vista. I think Win7 is likely to be a good thing: not a complete revolution, perhaps: but, for me, a worthwhile update.Tim =====================Tks Pierre

Guest russellbdavis

I just purchased a laptop with Windows 7 Professional. FSX will not run at all. I've installed all FSX SPs, and its a no go. And, I am not going to even try to run it in XP mode, which is running 16bit, and very slowly.

It will be exactly like every other MS OS ever released, not worth a crap until at least SP 1 and probably SP2. I'm sticking with XP until I see what FS11 brings to the table.
Actually, I thought the same way until about 5 different people told me it really is as good as people say it is! It's worth a try! (I just bought it for my 2500$ computer, that ought to tell you what I think of it)

Collin Biedenkapp
Chief Executive Officer
TFDi Design (Invernyx) | Website

I just purchased a laptop with Windows 7 Professional. FSX will not run at all. I've installed all FSX SPs, and its a no go. And, I am not going to even try to run it in XP mode, which is running 16bit, and very slowly.
The problem is in this case not with the software combination of W7 and FSX. There must be something else - driver, hardware... You gotta go looking at other places, like device manager, updating ALL drivers.The problem with some laptops, is they usually have their "own" set of drivers, which can sometimes cause problems. Like this one. Is it maybe a Dell laptop?