Sign in to follow this  
Guest RSmith

Traffic.dll error

Guest RSmith

Reloaded FS, then installed FSUIPC, as usual. Upon start-up of FS, I get a "3rd party software incompatability error" - citing traffic.dll as the culprit. FS fails to load - back to desktop. I searched my drive, found (2) traffic.dll files - one in the windows/systems/32 folder, the other is in the program files/MS Games/FS2002/modules folder. If I (temporarily) rename the traffic.dll in the FS2002 folder - FS loads up. If I rename the other traffic.dll, same error pops up.Have been using FSUIPC 2.96 without problem. Not sure why this error popping up on the reinstall of FS.Any advice ?Thanks.

Guest RSmith

Maybe some more info. may help....New system - 2 weeks old. Running XP Home, Dx9, FS2002, FDC and FSUIPC - that's it... as far as FS stuff.traffic.dll error (FS incompatability error) came up after I removed FS (proper way) then clened out "all" FS related files, icons, etc. Defragged disk, reloaded FS, installed FSUIPC 2.975, and problem now appears when starting FS. I did not uninstall FDC in this process.Anyone using XP Home - would you mind checking your Windows/systems32 file (hidden) - see if there is a file entitled traffic.dll in that folder ?Thanks - Help....

Hi there,I checked the Winows/System32 folder in XP Pro, and it also contains a file called 'traffic.dll'.If FS starts up after you rename the file that's contained in the FS2002/Modules folder, I would try deleting it and copying over a fresh one from your FS2002 CD (it's on CD1 - cancel the autorun, right click on the CD drive and select 'search'). Then see, if the problem persists.Cheers,Gosta.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

traffic.dll in the System32 folder is a Windows system file, the one on the FS2002/Modules folder is a Flight Sim file. Same name, very different files. Whatever you do, don't drag and drop.ChasW

Guest RSmith

Thks for some input.Regarding the drag & drop warning - you are referring to deliting the FS traffic.dll - and the subsequent replacement with a new copy off my disk, right ? Assume best way is to "copy-paste" from the orig. CD - to my FS file ?Appreciate the comments.

Don't touch the file in your Windows/System32 folder. Go to your FS2002/Modules folder, delete the 'traffic.dll' in there, and then copy the new one from the CD into that folder (FS2002/Modules). It's not a good idea to overwrite files with .dll extensions, so make sure you delete it first.Cheers,Gosta.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

Hi Bob,Got your email! I really don't know how to fix this problem. I have seen it listed several times in the past. It seems that FS2002 gets confused about the traffic.dll file it is suppose to use.If the above advice works, please post the affirmative. If not, I would try in this order:1. Rename the fs2002.cfg file to fs2002.cfg.OLD, restart fs2002 to see if the problem still exists. If so, delete the new fs2002.cfg and rename fs2002.cfg.OLD to fs2002.cfg.2. Copy the fs2002 folder and rename the copy fs2002OLD. Uninstall fs2002 via the Add/Remove Programs menu. Using Windows Explorer, delete the residual fs2002 folders (NOT the fs2002OLD folder). Reboot your computer and reinstall fs2002 to the same location as before. Once reinstalled, start fs2002 to see if the problem is fixed. If so, rename the new fs2002 folder to fs2002NEW. Rename fs2002OLD to fs2002. Start fs2002 to see if the problem reappears. If so, rename fs2002 to fs2002OLD, rename fs2002NEW to fs2002. Restart fs2002 and ensure the problem is fixed. If so, you have several options:a. Delete fs2002OLD entirely.b. Slowly copy wanted files from fs2002OLD to fs2002 and check each update before adding more. If any update causes the problem, troubleshoot the cause or remove the update.I suspect you have corrupted scenery files which affect the traffic.dll. Deleting traffic.dll from your modules folder removes this function but what does traffic.dll do for the simulation and what are you missing.

Guest RSmith

This looks like a tough one....... No joy yet.Renamed & established a new .cfg file - no improvement. Further, after cleaning, the new installs failed the same way - pop-up screen just at the 1st FS opening screen - says - "detected incompatible 3rd party software - and - references the traffic.dll file.After cleaning - I removed the only 2 add-on programs I use (FSUIPC & FDC), defragged, and loaded via "add programs". Install goes normal - and when entering FS from the initial load screen - all goes well. But as soon as I close FS down - and try to restart - I get the error upon load - and in fails back to the desktop.Since system is so new, guess it may be best to rebuild from op.system up.... Strange how this popped up after 10 days of great play - and only adds have been MS keyboard, mouse, and Norton software..... but FS worked after all those installs - and just acted this way after defragging yesterday.....Thanks for looking at it for me........

Guest RSmith

MS Support had 17 very recent reports of this error. This error arrises only in Windows XP - and Only with XP Service Pak #1 installed. This service pak installs a 2nd traffic.dll file in the WinSystem32 folder (the other being a FS2002 file in Modules). The XP system file is a network related file. In modules, the traffic.dll file relates to ATC communications.Cure that worked (suggestion #2 from MS)for me = Copy & Paste the FS traffic.dll file, into the root directory of FS (FS2002). Do not "cut" - MS suggested leaving (2) traffic.dll files - pasting one into the root directory (FS2002), and leaving one where it originates, in the Modules folder.Apparently, with the 2nd file installed via XP, FS gets confused on "which" file to use. As sson as I copied the file into the root directory, FS back up & running.Hope this helps someone else who may bump into this problem upon booting FS .Ron

Excellent catch Ron! Could have been chasing tails for days on this otherwise. Hope this helps everyone.Now, who at MS is responsible for naming a system file the same as a file in a MS mass-market product? What a plonker.dll, as we say here in the UK!ChasW

Guest RSmith

One last follow-up. Just spoke with my builder, who informed me that current OEM XP's come with Service Pak 1 already installed. So, if anyone is buying / building a new system, with OEM XP, this issue may arrise upon FS installation, or in my case, 1st re-installation.