Sign in to follow this  
JET 1

MD11 vFS9 Problem after go-around

I'm trying to establish a second landing attempt after an approach to RCTP runway 05. The go-around is no problem, the plane follows the pre-programmed route through the missed approach and to the holding fix.I thereafter attempted to add a new approach by lateral revision from the holding fix. Works ok, I can select the approach and STAR just fine.The problem is, the TO/APP page in the MDCU now is blank in all the landing weight and speed entries, and they can't be returned no matter what. The plane will not follow FMS though the second approach, and even if flown with manual settings back down the ILS toward the runway, will not disconnect the autothrottle at 50' and when attempted, will not go back into go-around mode.It seems like the plane does not come back into approach mode after the first go around, and is perhaps related to the plane going into CRZ mode after go around. There is some reference to it in the manuals, but I did not fully understand how to get back into approach mode.Pardon me if the terms I use are incorrect, I'm still learning the MD-11.EDITED: this is the part I do not understand:"After executing an FMS missed approach, it will be necessary to string a new approach before sequencing through the loaded flight plan. If the flight plan is sequenced and destination is lost, it will be necessary to string a new flight plan with a new destination."What does that last sentence mean?rgds-Kyle

I'll try that, but sice Secondary flight plan was offered only as option to revising the primary, I thought I might be doing something wrong.

Guest Totalbeginner

This is because the aircraft is not reaching the CRZ ALT programmed into the FMC. After the G/A, you need to enter the missed approach ALT or the highest ALT you intend to climb to as the new CRZ ALT on the INIT page. Now when you re-commence the descent you will get a descent path indicator, the APP page, and the magenta speed bug will behave as it did for the previous approach.Regards,Martin

This is because the aircraft is not reaching the CRZ ALT programmed into the FMC. After the G/A, you need to enter the missed approach ALT or the highest ALT you intend to climb to as the new CRZ ALT on the INIT page. Now when you re-commence the descent you will get a descent path indicator, the APP page, and the magenta speed bug will behave as it did for the previous approach.
MartinYes, I picked that up from the manual. So, while in the holding pattern at 3000ft, I changed the cruise alt on the INIT page to 030. Is that the way to do it? Anyway, I did not take notice of what mode the FMS went into, but the APP figures reappeared.Then again, after a while, back in the approach after leaving the hold, the figures disappeared again, don't know why. I performed a manual landing anyway using selected speeds, but after touching down, autothrottles would not go into idle, and I had to hit ATS OVRD switches, but still overran .. :( lots to learn obviously..I will try again and take note of the modes the FMS goes into at each stage.

Guest Totalbeginner
MartinYes, I picked that up from the manual. So, while in the holding pattern at 3000ft, I changed the cruise alt on the INIT page to 030. Is that the way to do it? Anyway, I did not take notice of what mode the FMS went into, but the APP figures reappeared.Then again, after a while, back in the approach after leaving the hold, the figures disappeared again, don't know why. I performed a manual landing anyway using selected speeds, but after touching down, autothrottles would not go into idle, and I had to hit ATS OVRD switches, but still overran .. :( lots to learn obviously..I will try again and take note of the modes the FMS goes into at each stage.
Yes that's correct, but you need to make sure that when you enter the new CRZ ALT that there is no discontinuity from that point onwards. This is what I do...-Press the G/A button and follow the F/D.-Select NAV-Re-Check the missed approach alt and select Auto Flight.-Open the speed window and set 180KIAS (or thereabouts) and PULL.-Go to the INIT page and set the missed approach alt as the new CRZ ALT-Go to the FPL and at the last waypoint of the missed approach procedure select LAT REV.-Choose "STAR" and enter the new approach.-Repair the discontinuity between the end of the missed approach route and the beginning of the approach procedure or go DCT to one of the waypoints on the approach.Now the FMC should be re-configured for a normal approach.Regards,Martin

MartinYes, that's what I did and this time it worked "as advertised". No idea what I did wrong earlier. Thanks!-kyle

Guest GAMER

Yeah but it seems like in that situation you are spending way to much time troubleshooting, can't you just hand fly the missed approach rather than troubleshooting? There have been many airplanes flowen into the ground doing things like this. I think sometimes all the geewiz stuff can get in the way.I love all the computer stuff, but sometimes it can actually add to the workload.Michael P.

Edited by GAMER

Guest Totalbeginner

Well, a desktop simulation is very different from the real aircraft. There would normally be two crew members for a start. One is flying and the other configuring the FMC!

Guest GAMER
Well, a desktop simulation is very different from the real aircraft. There would normally be two crew members for a start. One is flying and the other configuring the FMC!
Yeah that is true, I forgot that. I'm just saying I have had other ad don planes do weird things on final or missed approach after you hit than approach button, I just say forget troubleshooting just hand fly it. I have read the tutorial and FMC manual and it is very easy to input something wrong.I remember when I worked on the MD-11 program at Douglas the pilots would spend hours learning the systems and little time actually flying the sim. It is weird it is a simpley complex airplane.Michael P.