Sign in to follow this  
Guest 5012SFG

FS9 and Dual/Quad Core Processors

Guest ChanRak
Long time reader here...For those wondering about quad cores and FS9:I am running FS9 on a Quad Core Intel 9650 without assigning cores to specific tasks. The CPU is probably overkill for FS9, but the sim runs flawlessly with all settings maxed, 100% Ultimate Traffic AI (all UT models replaced), Active Sky, payware aircraft (PMDG, LVLD), my VA's ACARS, AI Smooth and the most detailed payware airports including FSDT's JFK. I have the max frame rate locked at 40fps and it stays pegged with no blurries in all situations! :( You can't go wrong with multiple cores in my opinion.
Hi aulb89I am about to buy a Quad 9550 which is in the middle between yours which is higher and the 9400 which is under. I come across this thread and never heard about the quads or duals causing problems to the FS 9 game. I see here this problem now. Why is that????I also plan to get the ATI card and do a crossfire on it with my motherboard being a gigabyte and have a 2 gig memory or 4 gig memory.Basically to my understanding the FS 9 is heavy on the scenery and really the graphics itself is what slows down the fps. Also when you add a ton of planes to the game itself it also drains your fps as well. This much I do know quite well beside the clouds eating up some of that too and the stuttering is awful and all that pausing so it can catch up frame wise.The purpose of having two graphic cards and having it crossfired is supposed to handle all that scenery that is being dumped and having a Quad processor is supposed to be able to handle the excessive load with ease. Why split up the quads where both can handle everything without a problem. Along with this with a memory of 2 gigs or more it should be a breeze and your fps can handle 40 or better without a problem and still be on the internet getting weather updates every 15 minutes.Something is not right here. The game itself is not based on processor type. It is based on minimums that you need to have to run it. This is interesting to ask Microsoft about the processors and if a dual and quad causes problems.By the way also I am going for DDR3 instead of DDR2 which is currently used a lot. Going up to DDR 3 ensures the future for myself because within a year or so most will be using DDR 3.So can you explain to me a bit better why the people have such problem and that you don't have the problem??? I am curious before I make contact to Microsoft to find out what they have to say on the issue.I also understand that now their gaming department regarding FSX and FS9 most have been laid off and all projects are put on hold and they are in limp mode now.Just found that out last week. So it looks like the new version of FS 10 is delayed for a spell. From what I understand is that FS 10 is twice as good and is backwards compatible and designed for the newer version and updated computers. It also is designed to not require new hardware and drivers like the FSX does. Also Microsoft is trying to throw a snowball on the public with a newer version above Vista which by the way they will be able to control you and your system to prevent illegal hardware being installed. So be careful and think twice before upgrading to their advertisement.What it does is this. Say you upgraded to their latest version. Now say you also have bootleg songs, or bootleg movies or bootleg programs. Well this version is designed to inspect your system and report back to microsoft without you knowing it via internet, and if found you will have a problem using Microsoft services. How is that for a start. HmmmmmThe whole idea is about control of what you do or please. Same concerning Hollywood telling you that you cannot burn a purchased DVD that has anti-piracy software to make backup DVD for future uses for yourself. That is what is ongoing now with RealNetworks in Seattle. What Hollywood is saying if that DVD goes bad buy another one. Same for Microsoft saying you are using illegal programs or music so it puts you in limp mode, and forces you to call them and work things out with them.If Microsoft goes this far, our choices is going to be limited and we will be forced to go to Linux software. I myself personally don't like Microsoft intruding into my system without my knowing it and dislike their efforts in trying to control me of what I want to do or please.Will await your answer concerning the quad issue.ChanRak

Oh, what I like to know from the guru's:Whats best, everything on core 0 en FS9 on core 1, or vice verse ?Since some services cant have an affinity set, on what core are they the most active in a default situation? or does it not matter ?