Sign in to follow this  
atco

vtp bgl not showing

Hi all,Hope you can help.I posted this here rather than a general forum because I think this forum will know the cause of this problem.Sim is FS2004.I have just installed a scenery of WBKK - Kota Kinabalu in Malaysian Borneo.I have underlying Mohammed Omar's sceneries of Borneo (Mesh, LC, LWM,VTP).Not had any problems with it at all - its all displayed perfectly.I have just downloaded his new version of WBKK airport, which is obviously created to fit in with his underlying Borneo files.I have seen screenshots of other people with this scenery displaying properly.Yet mine looks like this:borneo1.jpgI have usually used LWMviewer in the past to fix these kind of issues, but this one has me beaten totally, because this is how it displays in LWM:borneo2.jpgIf I disable the HL978290.bgl, it removes the extra coastline like this:borneo3.jpgYet the scenery still displays like the first picture.Nothing I have done has been able to get the land showing properly.This is how it looks without the 2 files displayed that contain the new land data:borneo4.jpgThe files are AB978290_vtpp.bgl and AB978290_vtpl.bgl that the author has used to create the land extension.All files are located in the Asia/Scenery folder as instructed in the install.Please can anyone advise how to get this scenery to display properly in FS.Thanks very muchGarry Lewis

Hello Garry,It is hard to say exactly because there may be some confusion on my part as to what your problem is - you don't say if it is the redundant beaches or if it is the runway in the water.The HL files are beaches only, not coastlines and water as such. It is only the decorative texture at the edge of the coastline. You cannot have two copies of the same file in the Scenery folder so if the author has supplied a replacement for the HL978290.bgl file and if it contains all the beaches for that Cell, then you should remove the default file and only use his.But, if his file only contains beaches for that project and if he has not excluded the default beaches there, then you will have to use both files and you will get double beaches. So, it may need an exclusion. More information from you would help.As for the missing land under the runway, if the author created that land as an airport background (AB), then the display of the land in game will depend on the layer he assigned to the AB. If it is on a lower layer than the default water, then it will not display and only water will be seen. The default AB is on layer 7.Probably you should consult with the author. On the other hand, it is easy enough to make your own fix - just draw another VTP polygon, make it grass, and assign a higher layer number, and that should fix it.Best regards.Luis

Thank you Luiz,The problem is that the airport should look like it does in image number 3 - The runway is correctly placed, it now extends further out (having recently been extended).As you can see in LWMviewer in shots 2 and 3, the author has created the appropriate vtp files, yet they still do not show in the sim - nor do they show if I place them in their own folder in the scenery library, above the default Scenery/Asia folder.I have tried moving these two vtp.bgl's into the airport scenery folder and their own folder, with no success, they just do not display at all.Yet in LWMviewer as you can see, the whole scene looks right.Unfortunately I am not knowledgable at all on scenery creation (something I would like to change, as I have created aircraft models and repaints, so scenery is the last frontier I have not tried yet), I would not know how to begin making my own fix - However I would like to learn.Many thanksGarry

Hello Garry,It is hard to say exactly because there may be some confusion on my part as to what your problem is - you don't say if it is the redundant beaches or if it is the runway in the water.The HL files are beaches only, not coastlines and water as such. It is only the decorative texture at the edge of the coastline. You cannot have two copies of the same file in the Scenery folder so if the author has supplied a replacement for the HL978290.bgl file and if it contains all the beaches for that Cell, then you should remove the default file and only use his.But, if his file only contains beaches for that project and if he has not excluded the default beaches there, then you will have to use both files and you will get double beaches. So, it may need an exclusion. More information from you would help.As for the missing land under the runway, if the author created that land as an airport background (AB), then the display of the land in game will depend on the layer he assigned to the AB. If it is on a lower layer than the default water, then it will not display and only water will be seen. The default AB is on layer 7.Probably you should consult with the author. On the other hand, it is easy enough to make your own fix - just draw another VTP polygon, make it grass, and assign a higher layer number, and that should fix it.Best regards.Luis

Hello Garry,It is strange that others have no problems. Perhaps there is some issue with the installation, a missing file or incorrect folder?Really, the only other thing that comes to mind is that vtp no longer displays over water in FS X, so that this type of scenery will only display correctly in FS 9. For FS X, the designer would have to re-do the water polygons in order to get land there. But, you have mentioned that you are using FS 9 so this cannot be the problem.By the way, I have not found WBKK by Omar in the Avsim library, only an FS X facilities file by Marten Weber (for FS X only.) Is this the file you mean by any chance?Best regards.Luis