Sign in to follow this  
mtbparker

Help - ASA (Beta355) System.UnauthorizedAccessException

Hello all,I was wondering if you could help out. I recently purchased ASA (Build 316) and upgraded to the Beta (Build 355). With this update to the beta version, ASA now crashes on during startup. The report I get from Windows is:

An unhandled exception ('System.UnauthorizedAccessException') occurred in ASA_Exec.exe [3728] ...
I notice that it fails every time, immediately after I see the status line,
2:50 PM - Downloading global weather data for 1/18/2009 2:50:37 PM (14Z) from Primary Server...
Having read the release notes that say,
IMPORTANT: Using certain antivirus and firewall/security software may cause ASA to lose rights when it is updated with this update package. You may need to provide rights to ASA again after the update. Certain antivirus may also prevent the update package from properly updating the ASA files. If you have installation problems or errors after installing this upgrade, and are using antivirus, we recommend disabling such antivirus and then reinstalling the upgrade.
I've started down this debugging path:1) Make double sure that I "run as administrator". No joy.2) I proceeded to stop my AVG 8.0 Free, and reinstall ASA beta. No joy.3) I added an exception to Windows firewall for ASA_Exec.exe. No joy.4) I then uninstalled AVG 8.0 and reinstalled ASA beta. No joy.5) With AVG still uninstalled, I uninstalled ASA all together and reinstalled. I confirmed Build 316 works again.6) With AVG still uninstalled, I reinstalled the Beta 355. No joy. Got the exception again.7) Turn off Windows firewall. No joy.I'm presuming that ASA (beta) works with Windows firewall, especially now that I have the exception there for ASA_Exec.exe. I'm beginning to believe that AVG is not the problem. But I need more detail about the note you placed in your release notes. Specifically, what do you mean by, "You may need to provide rights to ASA again after the update?" What additional rights besides a firewall exception and "run as administrator" do I need?Thanks for your help,Tom

Hi Tom,Sometimes when you update a program, a firewall will block the program because it senses it as something new. So even though ASA is listed you may need to allow it access it again in the firewall software.Can you post the whole error message from Windows?Thanks,

Hello Jim,Thanks for the response. As far as the remainder of the error message, it all deals with Just-In-Time debugging with Visual Studio. It says,

An unhandled exception ('System.UnauthorizedAccessException') occurred in ASA_Exec.exe[4700]. Just-In-Time debugging this exception failed with the following error: No installed debugger has Just-In-Time debuggin enabled. In Visual Studio, Just-In-Time debugging can be enabled from Tools/Options/Debugging/Just-In-Time.Check the documentation index for 'Just-in-time debugging, errors' for more information.
I don't think the rest of this error message provides anything revealing. I guess I should make note of a few system configuration things to help:1) I'm running anything active sky on a remote PC. 2) I've got ASv65 installed and run it through WideFS when using FS9. 3) I've got ASX installed and run it through SimConnect when using FSX. 4) I've got ASA installed. Just in case you're thinking it :), I don't run the ActiveSky apps simultaneously (ie: ASX and ASA at the same time). 5) ASA Build 316 worked without any exceptions to the firewall.6) With ASA (Beta 355), I get the same symptoms regardless of any firewall exceptions (present or not)Both the remote and FS machine are running Vista 32bit Home Edition.If you'd like me to provide any more info, I certainly can. My whole reason for going to the beta version is because even though I say ASA B316 "worked", it did not exhibit any of these symptoms. It would, however, crash to desktop approximately 1.5 to 2.0 hours into a flight without any error. I upgraded on the presumption that it might be the famed OOM problem that's being reported.Hope this helps,Tom

Hi,Please attach the log files from your ASA folder.Thanks,

Well, I decided to go one better. I uninstalled ASA all together, ran with the good version (B316), get a sample of the log. Then I installed the beta and grabbed a sample of the log. In the beta version, it chokes just before the license result check.I can promise you, I have legit copies of all versions of ActiveSky. :)Results from good install

:54:55 PM:0833 - Loading Application Data Path8:54:55 PM:0833 - Application Data Path = C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Roaming\HiFi\ASA8:54:55 PM:0833 - Loading Application Executable Path8:54:55 PM:0833 - Application Executable Path = D:\Program Files\HiFi\ASA8:54:55 PM:0833 - ASA load commencing...8:54:55 PM:0833 - Verifying Active Sky Advanced License8:54:57 PM:0565 - FSX Path Value = V:\8:54:57 PM:0580 - FSX My AppData Path Value = C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\8:54:57 PM:0580 - FSX My Docs Path Value = C:\Users\Tom\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\8:54:57 PM:0643 - ASA settings have been loaded...8:54:57 PM:0845 - Initializing ASA8:55:41 PM:0369 - FS station database update not needed (unchanged)...8:55:41 PM:0401 - World Magnetic Model has been loaded...8:55:48 PM:0483 - Wx Station Database loaded: 9960 station(s)8:55:49 PM:0169 - Airports Database loaded...8:55:49 PM:0169 - Loading Additional Weather Stations...8:55:49 PM:0466 - Additional stations database load compete for 1704 stations8:55:49 PM:0513 - SimConnect found and initialized8:55:50 PM:0823 - ASA controls initialized...8:55:50 PM:0823 - ASA v11.0.0.316 Copyright

Hi,Did you re-allow ASA in your firewall software?Thanks,

Hi,Did you re-allow ASA in your firewall software?Thanks,
Yes... I did. I even went as far as turning off the firewall for the sake of the experiment.Tom

Hello again,I was just kinda curious if you guys had found anything that might explain this problem. Is it something that might be fixed in the next official release? etc...Thanks for your consideration.Tom

Hi,We haven't found anything yet, as it still looks as though something on your system is blocking the download.Thanks,

Hi Tom,Boot in Safe Mode and run ASA and see what happens.Thanks,Jim

Hi Tom,Boot in Safe Mode and run ASA and see what happens.Thanks,Jim
Hello again Jim,Thank you for continuing to ponder this problem. I tried it in safe mode this morning and got the same bad results. It crashes during the download like before. But while poking around, I noticed something a little peculiar. If you take a look at the log files that I posted earlier, starting at line 7, I see something I wouldn't expect.
...9:09:56 PM:0409 - FSX Path Value = V:\9:09:56 PM:0425 - FSX My AppData Path Value = C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\9:09:56 PM:0440 - FSX My Docs Path Value = C:\Users\Tom\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\...

I notice that the FSX My AppData Path Value is pointing to the local C:\ drive. However, if I go look at the values in the registry, it should (in theory) be pointing to the mapped drives on the remote machine. I've taken a screenshot of my registry entries to confirm. (License key has been blotted out.)fsscr004.jpgNow, I'm not expecting this to be the problem because the settings are the same for both the working and non-working (beta) versions. But it's worth noting as it's not what I'd expect.Thanks again,Tom

Hi,On your initial run of ASA you should have been asked to set those paths.The other 2 reports of this through e-mail were solved by booting in Save Mode and verifying.Thanks,

Hi,On your initial run of ASA you should have been asked to set those paths.The other 2 reports of this through e-mail were solved by booting in Save Mode and verifying.Thanks,
Interesting.. I saw the same results in safe mode. Do you have any additional detail about what difference might have altered the result? Obviously, there's a lot of differences in safe mode. I'm wondering if there was one thing in particular.Also, I don't recall being asked where those path were. I went in to change the registry values per the setup instructions for a remote configuration. It should be noted that I do have a local installation of FSX on my "remote" machine. My remote machine is a laptop. Under normal circumstances, it serves the "remote" PC role. I think I'll uninstall my active skies and flight sim, then try re-installing Active Sky X and Active Sky advanced. I'll let you know how it goes. It might be that this local install of FSX might be confusing things a little.Tom

Hi,For sure that is the reason because AS doesn't need to ask because it uses the registry entries!