Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

During cruise I'm getting fairly stable winds, however, over the past several weeks occassionally the winds will dramatically decrease or increase causing the aircraft to either overspeed or nearly stall. For example, this morning, I flew from KIAD to KMEM--PMDG MD-11--winds at cruise were averaging 280/98--hefty headwind--approaching HNN VOR and EWO VOR the winds dramatically decreased from 98knots of headwind to 0 then increased as dramatically to around 70knots of headwind.Last night, flying Level D 767 from KSFO to KIAD I experienced the same thing roughly over the same location (this time with tailwind).I've flown with AS6.5 for several years now, and for the exception of dramatically shifting winds over certain parts of the N Atlantic (winds actually swirl 360 degrees--a known FS9 issue), I don't recall such dramatic changes over CONUS.Reading other posts--mainly from PMDG world but not exclusively, this seems to be a general issue. Couple questions to Hi-Fi Team:1) Is this a "winter" issue mainly? hard to model 100+kt winds?2) Why would a station report light winds at cruise altitudes? thus, causing aircraft thrust to quickly react and over compensate3) Is it possible to program the winds so that "excessive shifts" can be mitigated or averaged out? Hi-Fi patch ?4) Has the wind model in FS9 AS6.5 been changed with the advent of active sky advanced? 5) Does Hi-Fi work with PMDG/Level D etc in an effort to minimize dramatic wind shift?--as a/c modelling improves--this will become an issueAs context, I've followed the recommended settings for FS9 AS6.5 setup given by Jim Skorma--I use FSUIPC wind smoothing etc etc. I have registered version of FSUIPC but I turn off weather settings in FSUIPC as suggested.ThanksRich Perry

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi,1. We are aware of no issues modeling 100+ winds.2. Maybe that is what the stations winds reallly were? A good resource is: http://weather.uwyo.edu/upperair/sounding.html3. No, just through FSUIPC. With your registered version you can slow down the shifts and that would be OK.4. No, we have not touched ASv6.5 since B552 and ASA has nothing to do with ASv6.5, even if they were installed on the same system. The same hold true with the data system.5. With the MD-11 and ASA there have been conversations back and forth. Sometimes I feel that companies should match our data usage, especially with a program that has been out there, and stable, for a long time now. (ASv6.5) We are willing to work with anyone who needs our technical assistance.6. What happens with a default plane?I hope this give you some information!Thanks,