Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toys_R_Us

Alpha Channel Edit Question.

OK, I did my first repaint, but needed to edit the ALPHA channel to allow the lettering and artwork to show through better on this aircraft. I'm using DTXBmp and Photoshop CS3. Actually, I'm pretty good at Photoshop, so I came up with this "hack" to make the ALPHA drawing edit. Now I'm wondering what the right way to do it is.What I did.1. Load the ALPHA drawing from DTXBmp to Photoshop.2. SELECT the entire ALPHA (Ctrl-A) and drag it to the existing "skins" .bmp which is still there in Photoshop.3. This forms a new top layer in the "skins" drawing, which I will call "alpha". This layer is over the "skins" layer.4. Change the opacity of this new "alpha layer" so the "skins" show through slightly from below.5. Paint the "alpha layer" in a lighter color over the "skin" areas only which are showing through, (as desired). 6. Change the opacity back to 100% on this "alpha layer".7. Drag the edited "alpha layer" (in the "skins" drawing) back to the ALPHA drawing.8. Since this "overwrites" the original ALPHA drawing, I then "Save" that edited ALPHA drawing.9. Reload the newly edited and saved ALPHA drawing back into DTXBmp . 10. Make the repaint .dds in DTXBmp with "Save as".Now this works great, but it is just my "hack" to get the job done. Is this "laughable or what ? :(Bob (Las Cruces, NM)

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

OK, I did my first repaint, but needed to edit the ALPHA channel to allow the lettering and artwork to show through better on this aircraft. I'm using DTXBmp and Photoshop CS3. Actually, I'm pretty good at Photoshop, so I came up with this "hack" to make the ALPHA drawing edit. Now I'm wondering what the right way to do it is.What I did.1. Load the ALPHA drawing from DTXBmp to Photoshop.2. SELECT the entire ALPHA (Ctrl-A) and drag it to the existing "skins" .bmp which is still there in Photoshop.3. This forms a new top layer in the "skins" drawing, which I will call "alpha". This layer is over the "skins" layer.4. Change the opacity of this new "alpha layer" so the "skins" show through slightly from below.5. Paint the "alpha layer" in a lighter color over the "skin" areas only which are showing through, (as desired). 6. Change the opacity back to 100% on this "alpha layer".7. Drag the edited "alpha layer" (in the "skins" drawing) back to the ALPHA drawing.8. Since this "overwrites" the original ALPHA drawing, I then "Save" that edited ALPHA drawing.9. Reload the newly edited and saved ALPHA drawing back into DTXBmp . 10. Make the repaint .dds in DTXBmp with "Save as".Now this works great, but it is just my "hack" to get the job done. Is this "laughable or what ? :(Bob (Las Cruces, NM)
Hi Bob :( Your method is actually not too different to what I've done in the past. When I've made a paint kit I have the alpha channel in a layer folder at the top but deactivated. When you want the alpha channel you just activate the layer folder and save it as a bmp, you can then simply import it in to DXTBmp. By doing it this way it makes it easy to make adjustments to a particular paint schemes alpha channel :(

Morgan:Thanks for the reply. I think I finally got it. Here is where I got confused I think.I was not familiar with Index Mode. Since Index Mode has very little editing capabilities, I could not do much with the alpha, as it came into Photoshop in Index Mode. That's where I came up with my method.So... I saved the existing alpha as a .bmp from DXTBmp and dragged it to Photoshop. Then once I "errored" at the "Index Mode" error message in Photoshop while trying to add a layer, I looked that up and found out what that was. Then I simply switched it to RGB Mode. Then I was free to do anything I wanted with it including adding, deleting, and/or reordering the layers. I really could save it as a PSD for later use if I wanted to.OK, then I modified it just like in the method I described earlier, deleted the added "skin" layer, and reset the opacity to 100 percent. Then I switched it back to Index Mode and saved it back as a bitmap. When I imported it back to DXTBmp, I was good to go. It worked as expected when I checked it in FS Repaint. (a valuable tool to say the least.)I was also not familiar with the fact that I could freely manually save or import the alpha as a bitmap in either DXTBmp or Photoshop, and also convert it to RGB or Index Mode for complete full editing as desired in Photoshop.The Help information in Photoshop tells you that the editing capabilities are very limited in Index Mode.Bob (Las Cruces, NM)