Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charlie Chew

Problem with Bill Lyons aircraft

Hi all,Went through the two-week job of reinstalling FS9 and add-ons a few months back. Everything's been running smooth, except for one thing: I'm getting extremely slow and choppy performance with all -- and only -- aircraft made by Bill and Lynn Lyons. They're great planes, and I realize it's a problem with my system and not their aircraft, but this has happened to me several times over the years where all the Lyons aircraft have suddenly become unusable (2 FPS).Has anyone else experienced this?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi all,Went through the two-week job of reinstalling FS9 and add-ons a few months back. Everything's been running smooth, except for one thing: I'm getting extremely slow and choppy performance with all -- and only -- aircraft made by Bill and Lynn Lyons. They're great planes, and I realize it's a problem with my system and not their aircraft, but this has happened to me several times over the years where all the Lyons aircraft have suddenly become unusable (2 FPS).Has anyone else experienced this?
I find that some, not all, of these models are more demanding than the FS9 default models, but no more so than other complex add-ons. I find my 2001-vintage P4 machine with GeForce 4 graphics is adequate to the needs most of the Lyons models I've tried, but my Pentium M laptop with Intel 915 graphics stumbles with some of them (e.g. the Goose) while it is fine with others (e.g. the S-43). If you are having problems with these models only, they must be the most complex you have. I find that Milton Shupe's Howard 500, Beech 18, and Commander 500S models are too much for my laptop, but it handles his Commander 520 just fine; that one is deliberately frame-rate friendly.If you have a machine that is limited in graphics performance, you need to make compromises with respect to detail rendered in the aircraft model, display of the world around you, and frame rate. Sometimes, however, an aircraft model can be simply too demanding; these you don't use.Sometimes the performance bottleneck can be processing sound. Most of the Lyons' models have an elaborate suite of sounds, and if your CPU is heavily involved in sound processing, flight and graphics will slow down. You can configure for less sound accuracy, or try aliasing sound to one of the simpler default models.

Thanks for the reply.My problem doesn't seem to be a performance issue in the typical sense. I've gotten all aircraft (the main ones I use are Grumman and the Quad Challenger II) to work very smoothly on the occasions they have been working. The problem is that after working brilliantly for a few months, I'll fire up the aircraft to find only the Bill Lyons aircraft stuttering horribly, and giving me only 1 or 2 FPS. Normally I get around 25 FPS from these aircraft using 3D shutter glasses. Reinstalling the planes and switching display/stereo drivers doesn't seem to help. Perhaps these aircraft make use of a common file(s) that has become corrupt or deleted?

Thanks for the reply.My problem doesn't seem to be a performance issue in the typical sense. I've gotten all aircraft (the main ones I use are Grumman and the Quad Challenger II) to work very smoothly on the occasions they have been working. The problem is that after working brilliantly for a few months, I'll fire up the aircraft to find only the Bill Lyons aircraft stuttering horribly, and giving me only 1 or 2 FPS. Normally I get around 25 FPS from these aircraft using 3D shutter glasses. Reinstalling the planes and switching display/stereo drivers doesn't seem to help. Perhaps these aircraft make use of a common file(s) that has become corrupt or deleted?
I seem to recall some of Bills planes have a CD player built into the panel and iirc it cuased issues for some users...