Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest sjfdkw

bad doppler effects

I have previously asked this before but with no response. I am finding fsx doppler effects a little uncomfortable. Be it user plane, ai plane or even airport ground vehicles all have the same problem. In normal life and by basics of physics the sound pitch of a source passing by decreases all the way gradually -1. being higher than actual when approaching, 2. close to actual when closest and 3. lower than actual when moving away.The first two being followed correctly in fsx, but as soon as the plane/vehicle starts moving away the pitch suddenly starts increasing, exactly opposite of what it should be. The faster the object the more distinguished it is. The effect just ruins my userplane flyby view and ai plane spotting experience on the ground. I use addon and self modified sounds. The default engine rear sounds use pure rumble and manage to get away unnoticed.Strangely I havent come across any posts discussing such issue. is it only me?Could someone please comment on thisregards

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

This is not normal. FSX simulates the doppler effect very nicely. When an aircraft approaches you the pitch should get higher, and when it moves away the pitch should lower gradually. I remember the doppler effect used to be the opposite when I downgraded from Vista to XP, which was pretty weird. Maybe a repair of FSX might fix the problem.

This is not normal. FSX simulates the doppler effect very nicely. When an aircraft approaches you the pitch should get higher, and when it moves away the pitch should lower gradually. I remember the doppler effect used to be the opposite when I downgraded from Vista to XP, which was pretty weird. Maybe a repair of FSX might fix the problem.
nope, the pitch should fade all the way, it depends on the relative velocity of the object towards you which reduces throughout the flyby.OS factor was the last thing I was expecting..you sure about that?can you record and upload a flyby jet sound from your fsx on vista

found the source of problem..nothing to do with the OS but the onboard sound. while experimenting found that reducing the hardware acceleration slider to basic acceleration made the doppler effects to normal but with a performance hit. any higher setting and the problem returned, making the effect excactly inverse of normal. my onboard sound device is realtek ac97 with latest drivers.