Sign in to follow this  
Orlaam

Flap Callouts

I've noticed a lot of times I don't get flap callouts, mostly on app, but I kinda think other times. Also, when G/A, flap callouts are only mentioned when setting a certain mode, like V/S wheel. Has this been reported? Example, I engage TOGA (go around) and climb, gear up, flaps up on schedule. I don't recall hearing callouts but I was busy. I just know when I extended slats going downwind, the F/O didn't call slats extended until I started to decrease my descent using the V/S wheel.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Maybe I do not understand the question. The flap callouts occur after the flap event, not before. There are only specific callouts such as 15, 28 and 35 (I think). I'm not sure you get a callout if your dial a flap is not set to 15 on approach.

Dan Downs KCRP

Maybe I do not understand the question. The flap callouts occur after the flap event, not before. There are only specific callouts such as 15, 28 and 35 (I think). I'm not sure you get a callout if your dial a flap is not set to 15 on approach.
Well, I don't know the logic, but in the air it seems odd. I don't get a call on the ground when configuring for takeoff, but that may be normal. In the air, sometimes the flaps or slat up call doesn't sound after takeoff. The most noticeable and repeatable for me has been on a go-around. I engage TOGA and clean up, then head to the holding fix in NAV while I'm reselecting the approach in the FMS. Then, as I'm heading downwind and extend slats, I get no call for slats extended. The only way the call for slats extended plays is when I dial the V/S or FPA wheel to descend to my next altitude. As soon as I touch the dial , I hear slats extened, but they extended maybe a minute before. Make sense?

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Yeah, that makes sense now. The logic is getting wrapped up due to the go-around/hold. Otherwise (normal approach), have you had the same problem?

Dan Downs KCRP

Yeah, that makes sense now. The logic is getting wrapped up due to the go-around/hold. Otherwise (normal approach), have you had the same problem?
Yeah, that was my thought. I think GA effects a lot of these add-ons. I can't say I've had a problem on approach, but part of me thinks I have. I am still obviously learning this MD-11 logic, so at times I am preoccupied with charts and checks on approach, but I do kinda think a couple calls have been missed, but I have no proof, it's just the GA thing.

- Chris