Sign in to follow this  
Guest B1900 Mech

Changing cards.

Hi boys and girls, :)I have a question, I now own a Geforce3 64MB and i want to expand it to a Geforce4 128MB. Will you notice the change in FS2002?????????????????????????????????????????????Graphics??Framerate??Many thanx,L.Jim

Guest Milamber

Why go from a GeForce3 to just a GeForce4? I would think you would want a bigger leap than that. Go for the Radeon 9500 pro and up. They will beat any GeForce4 and probably the FX too. :)

Guest Macs

Either way, upgrading from 64MB to 128Mb will speed up your sim slightly as the CPU doesnt have to fetch files as often(because your GPU can store more textures). I have a GF4 Ti4600 after upfrading from a GF4 MMX440 64mb(the cheapest card on the block) and I' pleased with it,but to be honest I expected moreRegardsJohn Mc Avinuehttp://www.bavirtual.co.ukP 2.53 GHZ512 RAMWINXPGFORCE 4 128MB Ti4600http://vatsim.pilotmedia.fi/statusindicato...tor=OD1&a=a.jpg

Hi,I recently upgraded from a GeForce 2 to a GeForce 4 Ti4200 64 mb card.Amazing increase in graphics and fluidity of flight! I can now taxi with smooth frame rates in very high density scenery areas (such as Malpensa Airport)where before my movement would be very jerky. While I don't think fps has increased much if at all, I now have smooth fps instead of the fps which was jerky in high density areas. My display sliders are all on max. A MAJOR improvement for me concerns dynamic bluries. In most cases, I don't have them anymore except some times with high speed aircraft and other conditions. Major improvement......I'm not an expert, but from what I've read anything above 64 mb for FS2002 won't help much if at all. In fact, in some cases I've read that the 128 mb cards may be somewhat slower then the 64 mb cards from the same manufacturer.My system specs: Dell PIII, 1Gig, 512mb, Asylum GeForce 4 Ti4200 64mbHope this helps,Howard

Hiya,Well thank you for your tips, the thing is I have a P4-1.8 overclocked =>2.3 but at airport such like Heathrow well i get fps going down to round the 10 or less. So it's strange well maybe because my AI traffic is at 70%.So would it be smart to go to a other graphicscard from a Geforce3 64mb to a => ??????????????Please let me know,Regards,L.Jim

Anyone thinking about swapping a GF3 for a GF4 needs to read this benchmarking study of the two varities using FS2002. Bottomline - it's a waste of money. There really is no video card solution to the FPS problem at places like Heathrow. The problem is not enough CPU power to generate the AI aircraft. Even at 2.7Ghz I barely see 10 FPS there with dense scenery and lots of AI. But if you really want to swap the video card, I agree with those who advocate the 9500 (with a little OC) or the 9700. Or wait for the next generation from nVidia. The GF4's we're using are a dead horse.Trip

Jim,I'm not an expert, but everything I've read along with my experience (upgrade GeForce 2 to GeForce 4), suggests that upgrading from a 3 to a 4 may not increase fps. I have to agree with other folks that you'd need to increase your cpu power to do that. On the other hand, in my case I increased the "useable" fps in some high density addon scenery (such as Malpensa). With the GeForce 2 I had ok fps (15) at Malpensa (as far as the number is concerned), but it was jerky and not much fun. Now i get the same fps but it's smooth. Also, other graphics areas are much improved as in the blurry problem.Now in your case going from a GeForce 3 to GeForce 4, you may not see as much of a difference as I did.Hope that helped.Howard