Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avcomware

Change the Gold texture, Globally.

Hello everyone.I am in the process of making FSX a bit more realistic looking, and I was able to make some changes to open it up during Dusk time, but I would like to extend the textures some more.1-Do any of you know what textures control the area marked From here? The area marked Up to Here is controlled by "detail1".2-Is there a way to change the Gold texture, Globally, around the Airports. This color reminds me of FS95, and is not very realistic / close to any of the Airports I've been in? See enclosed pic I got while on the VOR appch. into KLGB. After I get it sorted out I will post them for others, if you anyone else is interested,Thank you, TV

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

What you call the "Gold texture" is the airport background, the FLX polygon, a mask that displays a ground texture based on the underlying land class.Most of the time, this mask is one of the Skirting textures, but not always. You will find an explanation of this, but without the images, here:http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=63596Here are the missing images:You will need an equivalency table to determine the mask for any given land class value - see the attached:The near section of your screenshot is not controlled by the detail1.bmp. This is purely a function of the Level of Detail setting and has been discussed numerous times, for example:http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=67486http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=67451and many, many other times.You can easily verify by loading any ground texture (or, for that matter, any texture at all) in the Microsoft Image Tool, where you will see the various MIP maps for each with their decreasing resolution.Best regards.Luis

Hi Luis.Thank you, for the info. I will read, and get educated, on this issue. I am just wondering if anyone else finds FSX airports, and some of the Look, especially the pre / post Dusk / Dawn, periods unacceptable? Some of these issues, initial impression, are so far off, trees at the end of runways, like KSNA, that makes one completely give up on this sim. What prompted them to do this?I am more disappointed with this sim than any other, that I can recall, maybe it's because I expected more?Maybe the Acceleration resolves some of these? I may have to install that, I just can't convince myself to go through the Installation / Activation over the phone again, pain, to see, but I do not believe that resolves these issues.Luis, what is your opinion on the FSX's advantages / disadvantages vs FS9? I know a lot of the Planes that I created with Gmax, for FS9, are having issues with FSX, displaying properly, many show up as black. The ones that I did not put a Texture on, to keep the Polygon count low, seem to be all black, but they are fine in FS9.Thank again. TVEdit: Just read the post you pointed out. Great info. I had this sim on the shelf for quite a while. I may just give it some more of my time, but still very disappointed. Some of these issues are very unexpected, amateurish, to be honest, especially from a seasoned group like the MSFS group was supposed to be. Thanks again. TV