Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Bri

Return to Fly!

Greetings all. Used to be an avid Fly!er and forum participant, but then real life took hold, and I haven't done either in around 7-8 years (although I've stopped by Avsim now and then)So I'm wanting to get Fly2 back loaded and I need to ask the typical total-newb questions since I don't remember crap.After loading Fly! on the Hard Drive, what procedures and addons do ya'all suggest? What was the latest patch (and are there any previous patches that I need to load first before the final?)What other addons, aircraft, etc do I need. Sky? Terrasceme? give me the best you all have come up with in the last 8 years!-BrianKOMA

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hey Brian! Welcome back to the fold.. :( First off, get the Fly!II patches of: 152 to 210 patch, then the patch to get to .240. Technically, you do not need to run the .230 patch, but you can if you want to get it as well. But .240 is the latest. You can check to see if you need the Global update, and maybe if you need the video update(s). Depends on the vid card you have. All these should be in the Fly! II Patches library section.Depending on your situation, ROTW is offering two DVDs that will bring you to the latest version, and also provides a lot of their aircraft / scenery (for France, mind you - but worth it!), plus some 3rd party stuff. They ask for a "donation", and it is worth going for.Other sceneries and planes you just need to go through the library and see what catches your fancy. Unfortunately, the PMDG 757/777 is no longer available :( far as I know. Had read in the forum a ways back that some place was offering it, but there is no support for it. TerraScene (Todd Klaus) and TerraModels (Allen Kriesman) are must haves, along with Taxiway (Peter Jacobson). This way you can build up your area if not already available. The texture paks for TerraScene you need to go to Jak Feron's HowInTheWorld site and purchase now (just the original add-on paks - TS will "grab" the original scenery textures from Fly!II automatically), but it is more than reasonable. My personal favs for aircraft are the Seawind (of course.. :( - but I'm still tweaking it), ROTW's ATR 42 (and most of their other planes, such as the Socata TBM 700); the Piper Seneca V (F2FD and ROTW collaboration) and F2FD's Dauphin helicopter. If you like the classic jets, Giorgio's 737 and Jean Sabatier's 707 or DC9 are terrific choices. You can check out ROTW's site in English at fly.simvol.org/indexus.php . Hope this helps some!Cheers,