Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MeneMene

overclocking

I have a Intel Q6600 processor, set at the factory default of 2.45 ghz. I've read some other people having success with this thing overclocked to 3.5 ghz and beyond. The thing is I have no clue how to do it.I've tried doing some research, and I can find endless discussions about motherboards and BIOS systems, and the like, and what to get if you're building a new computer and want to overclock it. I haven't been able to find much on how a novice like me can look at what I have and what I need to do.Could someone please give me a link pointing me in the right direction or let me know what I need to do from here? I got the computer last year and haven't messed around inside it at all. Everything's default with the above processor, and ATI Radeon 2600 vid card w/ 256 mb memory, and 3 gigs of ram.All I want to try and do is push my existing settup to the max, and don't trust myself with new heat sinks, hardware, etc. I would much appreciate if anyone could look at the above and tell me what I need to do from here, or what other information I need to give.thanks

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I have a Intel Q6600 processor, set at the factory default of 2.45 ghz. I've read some other people having success with this thing overclocked to 3.5 ghz and beyond. The thing is I have no clue how to do it.I've tried doing some research, and I can find endless discussions about motherboards and BIOS systems, and the like, and what to get if you're building a new computer and want to overclock it. I haven't been able to find much on how a novice like me can look at what I have and what I need to do.Could someone please give me a link pointing me in the right direction or let me know what I need to do from here? I got the computer last year and haven't messed around inside it at all. Everything's default with the above processor, and ATI Radeon 2600 vid card w/ 256 mb memory, and 3 gigs of ram.All I want to try and do is push my existing settup to the max, and don't trust myself with new heat sinks, hardware, etc. I would much appreciate if anyone could look at the above and tell me what I need to do from here, or what other information I need to give.thanks
Is it a name brand PC, like Dell, HP , if so the bios generally does not allow for overclocking.If not what Motherboard do you have, I assume the stock CPU Fan?

Generally, the Dell/Gateways of the world cannot be overclocked. The mfgs lock the bios settings that are required to change the FSB speed and core voltage. It's a warranty issue. Dell had a couple that were unclocked, but only a very few . . . and they cost Huge dollars. Check with Dell.

Do a google for your XPS model and Overclock.The XPS 700 allows for overclocking, who knows you may have or find a bios to allow yours to OC too.Other than that you would need to buy a new mother board,and maybe a new case if the Dell case does not have standard screw spacing...