Sign in to follow this  

I am new to Active Sky and generally I want to fly real time weather situations as downloaded. However, I am still practicing landings. So I would like to create a situation where I can be assured there is no wind at all at my destination surface (and sometimes departure) airport. Am I right in thinking I can save a weather config file with no surface wind and drag it to my destination on the map? I do not want to change anything else about the weather-just surface wind to keep me from blowing off course during approach. Could someone kind of walk me through the procedure so I can be sure I get it right? Love the program by the way. One thing I learned, after a few crashes, is that it it is a good idea to turn on the pitot heat in winter. Could this be why some other people are reporting erratic airspeed behavior? I have not had that problem since using pitot heat.ThxBarry

Hi Barry,Here's what you do... in normal online/automatic update mode, after you've started your flight at your departure and let ASA finish weather depiction, use wx configutation (the wx config screen) and set the station to your departure and "Load Current". Then edit the wind parameters as required. Set your application range to about 30SM. Then apply. Now follow the same steps for your destination airport. Because you've made a manual wx configuration change your online updates will now be disabled and your weather is as configured (normal live wx with the manual wind edits).Using the drag and drop will use saved wx templates which include entire METARS, and from what I undertsand this is not what you want since you only want to adjust the wind. But if you did want a specific METAR template to be applied you could use drag and drop.Pitot Heat is indeed a must when flying in visibile moisture in near or below freezing temperatures (visible moisture = fog/clouds). As a standard IFR procedure PITOT heat always goes on before departure and stays on until landing.Best,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Thanks Damien,That works pretty slick. Now I can use current weather with great textures and not have to worry about pesky surface wind while I practice landing. I'm getting into the habit of checking wind direction before choosing a runway so eventually I hope to stop using this little fix. But it's great while I get used to setting down correctly on the runways.Barry