Sign in to follow this  
Guest boeingflir

747-400 Problem

Guest boeingflir

Please be patient with a newby to the Flight Sim world. I have a 747-400 and I know that I could weed through the manual and probably through trial and error figure this out, but with all the willing help that I see here you all can save me that journey; I hope. When I commence my takeoff TOGA is annunciated twice on the PFD. At 70% I hit my TOGA button and THR something (I forget the exact annunciation) replaces one of the TOGA annunciation and auto throttles are engaged. The problem is that the FMC never engages climb power or vnav. The speed window stays open and and it never gets into climb thrust of course since vnav never engages. I cannot engage vnav manually either. What am I missing?Additionally, On the route page I enter KSEA to KSEA to do some pattern work. Then I select DEP/ARR and select 34R for departure and ILS 34R for arrival. When I go to the legs page all that is there is 34R. None of the waypoints that make up the approach. On the NAV page the ILS is parked.Thanks in advance for your help. I'm going to figure this big boy out. I know the FMC and how it interfaces is quite a bit different from the 757/767 which I'm squite familiar with.Bruce

Hi Bruce,Here I show what is (I think) a PMDG-744 fully configured for takeoff (I am at rwy 04R LIPZ- Venice).Do you have the white (armed) LNAV VNAV under the green TOGA TOGA ?Have you entered the weights, cruise level, and cleaned all discontinuities in the FMC ?I hope it helps.PMDGcockpit-6.jpg

I recommend the tutorial that is a short flight from Paine Field to Moses Lake.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest boeingflir

Interesting. No, I do not have LNAV and VNAV armed annunciations. I do have the 2 TOGAs engaged (green). I believe that I have the FMC properly programed since I have read it over in detail in both the AOM/FMC manual and the 4 lesson training scenario. I'M MISSING SOMETHING. I'm going to set it up for a longer city to city flight instead of the local flight that I've been trying to use to practice approaches and see what happens. You wouldn't ever see VNAV armed before takeoff on the 757/767. I'll give it a try later tonight and we'll see what happens.Thanks.Bruce

The normal procedure in the 744 is to arm VNAV and LNAV before the takeoff roll. FD & A/T are on. When you press the A/P button above 400 AGL she will smoothly take over.

Dan Downs KCRP