Sign in to follow this  
turner112

How do I get that "gentle turbulence" feel?

Hi all,Something I'm unsure about how to get in FS2002 is that gentle "rocking" you get in good low-wind conditions (5 to 10 knot winds, with gentle gusts) The low turbulence settings don't feel very realistic to me - maybe it's the flight model - and maybe it's something easily addressed.Some other sims seem to have it nailed; it feels as though the 172 (what I fly the most I guess) is just too... "solid" or something, as it doesn't rock around enough in low turbulence settings - it just juts a little bit, or there is a tiny buck and heave, and I'm rock-steady again.Also, on a somewhat unrelated note, the 172 feels too powerful, but I think I know how to fix that.Any help appreciated!Andrew

"How do I get that "gentle turbulence" feel?"IMO --- not from a monitor screen. I personally don't care for any computer generated turbulence. It only serves to give me a headache!Some effects such as a jolting shock wave are quite effective in combat simulations, but my screen shaking back & forth to simulate turbulence is just annoying (again--IMO). Besides, a gentle rocking motion may indicate inadequate yaw tendencies....As to the 172; keep in mind that it's an SP model. The extra 20 horses is quite noticeable in the real aircraft. L.Adamson

Guest ucanfly

ACtive camera pro and FSUIPC together go a long way to improving the feeling of flight.

>ACtive camera pro and FSUIPC together go a long way to>improving the feeling of flight.I do use active camera but with low settings. When doing aerobatics, it can un-realistically keep your eyes from seeing what you need to see. I can keep my head more stationary than what's programmed. But the overall effect really does add to the feeling.L.Adamson

Yeah; it's weird that way.When I think about it, it's almost as if what I'm thinking of is the difference between the motion of the cockpit and the motion of the pilot's head.I guess what would work is if your head (eye view) was stationary but the cockpit moved around a little, much like the way your brain "corrects" these types of bumps when moving around in real live.Well, I'm going to look up "active camera" as I haven't heard of it - sound like a "look-ahead" type thing for a driving sim?Cheers,Andrew>"How do I get that "gentle turbulence" feel?">>IMO --- not from a monitor screen. I personally don't care for>any computer generated turbulence. It only serves to give me a>headache!>>Some effects such as a jolting shock wave are quite effective>in combat simulations, but my screen shaking back & forth to>simulate turbulence is just annoying (again--IMO). Besides, a>gentle rocking motion may indicate inadequate yaw>tendencies....>>As to the 172; keep in mind that it's an SP model. The extra>20 horses is quite noticeable in the real aircraft. >>L.Adamson>