Sign in to follow this  

[MD-11] Is this a valid tip or not?

I can't remember having read about this, so maybe I am wrong or maybe this is very system specific, but I have a tip:Do not save a flight as default with the MD-11 if you want to fly other planes too.The thing is: ever since I got my new computer, I've been flying with the MD-11. Every now and then, for testing purposes or for other reasons, I take the default Cessna or the light paraglider (what's it called) for a spin, but... whenever I did that, I got very choppy fps! Hickups all the time and also graphical abnormalities, like flashes and spikes. So I always quickly went back to my beloved MD-11. The weird thing is that I got smooth fps with the MD-11!This evening I wanted to fly the glider to check out the area where I live (which is nice because I've got UTX). But man, fps was awfull. Even though the counter showed good numbers, it was choppy and weird. Then it suddenly occured to me that I have a default flight with the MD-11... so everytime I startup FSX, the MD-11 data is loaded (you can see that PMDG progress bar). So, I made a brand new default flight with the glider and now... all is cool again! Smooth fps even with higher settings (for VFR purposes: extreme autogen and water 2x med plus lots of cars, instead of dense autogen and water 2x low and no cars, which works best with the MD-11 on my system)!So I thought: is this a coincidence or is it indeed wise NOT to create a default flight with the MD-11, causing the MD-11 to be loaded everytime...? Or am I talking nonsense here? Well, of course it's not nonsense for MY system, but I wonder if this is a general (and maybe even an known) rule?

It's been common knowledge and acceptable practice to only use default MS aircraft for your default flight situation. Creating default flight situations with complex add-ons has long been suspected of causing problems, but mainly with other add-on aircraft. I've never heard the opposite, but I suppose it's possible.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired