Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Derrick Muller

Unknown and different approach frequency

Hi guys,I have been using Radar Contact for a couple of years now, but yesterday I had a first-time problem/issue.I was flying the PMDG 737-900 from KMIA to KATL. About 20 nm from KATL already vectored to 7000 ft and ready to turn to the final approach, RC tells me to contact Approach on 127.9 (one of several approach frequencies for KATL - I was landing on runway 8L). On the RC window, however, it says Approach on 124.55. Selecting that option results in no response, except for RC that keeps on reminding me (quite forcefully mind you) to contact Approach on 127.9. The funny thing was I could still "talk" to RC by requesting a visual approach, etc. In the end I chose the full IAP approach just to get the plane on the ground (although I caused quite a few near-misses, don't know if RC ignored my approach from then on until I was on the ground). I even tried setting the frequency manually, but because it is set to auto tune in RC it didn't make a difference. KATL is the default scenery in FS9, and I rebuild the scenery database every time I add new scenery. First time I've flown to KATL, though, but has never had this issue at any airport anywhere in the world, ever. Anyone else experienced this before?RegardsDerrick

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi guys,I have been using Radar Contact for a couple of years now, but yesterday I had a first-time problem/issue.I was flying the PMDG 737-900 from KMIA to KATL. About 20 nm from KATL already vectored to 7000 ft and ready to turn to the final approach, RC tells me to contact Approach on 127.9 (one of several approach frequencies for KATL - I was landing on runway 8L). On the RC window, however, it says Approach on 124.55. Selecting that option results in no response, except for RC that keeps on reminding me (quite forcefully mind you) to contact Approach on 127.9. The funny thing was I could still "talk" to RC by requesting a visual approach, etc. In the end I chose the full IAP approach just to get the plane on the ground (although I caused quite a few near-misses, don't know if RC ignored my approach from then on until I was on the ground). I even tried setting the frequency manually, but because it is set to auto tune in RC it didn't make a difference. KATL is the default scenery in FS9, and I rebuild the scenery database every time I add new scenery. First time I've flown to KATL, though, but has never had this issue at any airport anywhere in the world, ever. Anyone else experienced this before?RegardsDerrick
at larger airports, there will be two contacts with approach. the initial contact at 40 miles, and another one while in the pattern. i only have room for one frequency per controller type, so i make up a frequency for the second approach controller.jd

Hi jd,Thanks, I understand that now. But why then did the "spoken" frequency (127.9) by the controller differ from the one on the screen / RC window (124.55). When I selected the latter (being the only option available), nothing happened? It just blanked the window, and then repeated the same instructions, and the controller again telling me to contact approach on 127.9? Tried that again a couple of times with the same result. I am used to when the controller gives a specific frequency it will show up in the RC window as an option (such as Approach/Tower/Centre on xxx.xx)?RegardsDerrick

Hi jd,Thanks, I understand that now. But why then did the "spoken" frequency (127.9) by the controller differ from the one on the screen / RC window (124.55). When I selected the latter (being the only option available), nothing happened? It just blanked the window, and then repeated the same instructions, and the controller again telling me to contact approach on 127.9? Tried that again a couple of times with the same result. I am used to when the controller gives a specific frequency it will show up in the RC window as an option (such as Approach/Tower/Centre on xxx.xx)?RegardsDerrick
i don't know. if you can duplicate the problem, make a log and send it to mejd