Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cianpars

Texture Quality

Hi All,I've been having great fund with Tileproxy for some weeks now and seem to have found a sweet spot with FS9 (see earlier post).Strange thing is that I fly most in the west country UK (Near EGGD). On the map server the textures are clear and crisp but it seems FS9 can't handle more than 4.75 meter tiles and so my scenery can only be reasonably viewed from around 3,000 feet.Compare this for example with Blueskys freeware scenery packages where the sharpness of ground textures is much greater, particulary around airports where Gotreied uses higher definition and I these are sharp from 500 or 600 feet.So how is it that Bluesky scenery can be so crisp and yet there seems to be some limitation in FS9 using Tileproxy.Great Program Christian, just wondered whether there was a simple explanation.Cheers, IAN

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hey IAN, I'm new here, so take this with a grain of salt, but i believe TileProxy for FS9 can only display at 4.75m. I think its a limitation from the renderer of FS9. Check here for more information (this is how i came to learn about TileProxy) http://www.edtruthan.com/tileproxy/tutorial/Hope this helps somewhat. Cheers,

Hi All,I've been having great fund with Tileproxy for some weeks now and seem to have found a sweet spot with FS9 (see earlier post).Strange thing is that I fly most in the west country UK (Near EGGD). On the map server the textures are clear and crisp but it seems FS9 can't handle more than 4.75 meter tiles and so my scenery can only be reasonably viewed from around 3,000 feet.Compare this for example with Blueskys freeware scenery packages where the sharpness of ground textures is much greater, particulary around airports where Gotreied uses higher definition and I these are sharp from 500 or 600 feet.So how is it that Bluesky scenery can be so crisp and yet there seems to be some limitation in FS9 using Tileproxy.Great Program Christian, just wondered whether there was a simple explanation.Cheers, IAN

Yeh Redoak. Thanks for your quick response. I too read of the 4.75 limitation and so can't understand how Gotfried's scenery is so much sharper. Surely if the 4.75 is a limitation of FS9, then his scenery would not be so sharp - unless he is able to cram more into 4.75 than Tileproxy can for somereason I don't understand.IAN

My guess would be that the sharper images are obtained by downloading higher res images and then doing a better job of downsampling the images. Perhaps TP can do the same with some level mapping? The manual has a very good section on this.

Yeh, that was my guess too. I wonder how much more development Christian will be able to do.Best I can do with level mapping is:min_level=9max_level=15map_version=234level_mapping=9,11,12,13,14,14,15color_hack=Yescolor_level=13bulk_extend=50If I go up to:level_mapping=9,11,12,13,14,15,15I seem to get a lot of black holes.I'm so impressed with Tileproxy (been dreaming of something like this since FS2). If you want any help with beta testing or experimentation Christian, I would happily volunteer. Just wish I was clever enough to provide programming skills.IAN