Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I run 4 monitors and think I'd like to get a SLI MB in order to run the two cards that supply the two monitors. As I understand it, SLI allows the linking of two cards together to provide more processing power. I dont really want to do exactly that. I just want to run 2 vid cards. I've been running a AGP and a PCI but you could understand the limitations of that older PCI video power.So my question is this. Can I just run two PCI-e vid cards on the SLI MB without linking them? and thus providing my four separate displays? And if so, do I need the "SLI" ready video cards that seem to be much more expensive than a standard PCI-e video card?Hope I made this clear enough...Goes without saying I'm looking at dual core AM2 to run XP and FS9.Thanks,GLB

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Yes, you may run multiple video cards without using them in SLI mode (or Crossfire, if you go with ATi). Given the relatively pathetic nature of nvidia chipsets, I'd recommend you stay away from SLI motherboards. Since you're going with an AMD CPU you may as well get a Crossfire motherboard as AMD's chipsets are lightyears beyond nvidia's in terms of reliability.