Sign in to follow this  
Speedbyrd

AI Aircraft: controlling approach speeds

A couple of years ago, someone sent me instructions on how to adjust the approach / climb rate / take off speeds, etc. of the AI aircraft, but I guess I lost it when I got my new computer.A few of my AI's come in a bit too fast on landing or take off too slow and I wanted to check the adjustments to make the necessary speed changes. Most work just fine but a couple of my airbusses come in really hot and take off really fast and go into a very steep climb until they stabilize. Is there a 'cheat sheet' for setting the correct speeds? Thanks

Hi,The major controller of landing speed is the empty_weight. The wing_area in Geometry and stall speeds in the Reference Speeds section are minor controllers.Hope this helps,

Hi,The major controller of landing speed is the empty_weight. The wing_area in Geometry and stall speeds in the Reference Speeds section are minor controllers.Hope this helps,
ok, so a couple of questions.1. does changing the empty weight change anythng else in a negative way and does it require that I also change other parameters?2. the heavier the empty weight the faster the aircraft lands or do I have it backwards?Thanks

Hi,Yes, changing the empty weight changes just about everything in the flight dynamics. When I am creating an AI aircraft this is the value I set first, and then set everything else.Yes, the heavier the weight, the faster the final approach speed. It wouldn't do for a Cessna to approach faster than a 747. :)Hope this helps,

Hey Speedbyrd, I think you'll find the following thread interesting: http://www.alpha-india.net/forums/index.php?topic=4339.0.:(
Yes, very interesting. What this tells me is that I should be very careful tinkering with air files. The only real issue that I notice is the FSP A330 family lands very fast and on take off, climbs at a very steep angle til about 4,000 ft, then levels out more realistically. Sounds like a lot of things would need to be changed to correct this so I may do well to just leave it. I might want to stop using AI Smooth. I'll have more go-arounds (some of my airports are VERY busy) but the aircraft behave more naturally.

Any reason you're still using the FSP model in favor of the TFS?
mmmm, well I've been using them for some time and didn't know about TFS until very recently. I would have to do a lot of changes in my AI library and AITM but if you think it's worth it.....

I stand corrected. I did know about "Fruit Stand" aircraft but never really checked into them. I just figured they were a competitor to the FSP's. Are the TFS models that much better? They're certainly nice visually.