Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cuddly1956

Interesting approach to LGZA

Just done a flight to Zakinthos airport RW34 - fun!!!! oh yes :( No ils there and vor/ndb not inline with airport so an absolutely manual approch as such. Only thing I found was the speed restrictions - I had 250kts at 10k then 245kts at 3000+ but in descent the MD accellerated to 273kts and I got a speeding ticket lol.I found if I set the speed up in the performance page all is ok though - the default being too fast there of course. Used edit to make it 240 and like magic, next time it worked a treat.Seems it's ALL in the preparation... :( Only thing is I thought an altitude constraint that says 3000+ meant 3000 to 3500ft but the fms seemed not to care as the next on the list was around 6000ft. (probably a misunderstanding by me).A very intersting approach though.I would still like to know how to arm a FPA though or is it a case of dial it in at the FAF? (I just flew it)Takes a lot of concentration but the sense of pride when one accomplishes it is magic. Thanks for the fun involved in this approach, I must be mad :( Passengers moaned at landing but hey, what do they expect from Numpty Airlines? Perfection!!! lol.John Ellison

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Seems it's ALL in the preparation... :(
Indeed :)
Only thing is I thought an altitude constraint that says 3000+ meant 3000 to 3500ft but the fms seemed not to care as the next on the list was around 6000ft. (probably a misunderstanding by me).
It means "above 3,000 ft". Anything above that is fine.
I would still like to know how to arm a FPA though or is it a case of dial it in at the FAF? (I just flew it)
You cannot "arm" it to automatically give a 3 degree descent after the FAF, but you can open it and leave it at "0" until just before the FAF, then roll the wheel down as you cross.Tom

Cheers Tom, after a lot of digging round I found the altitude restriction thingy. Must have read it somewhere, but can't remember where the 3000 to 3500 came from as it is AT or ABOVE in the procedure file... as long as not below anyway, wouldn't want to bump into myself lolol.I suppose dialling in -3.0 in the fpa would work if on autopilot.... ah. no, scratch that, just fly to the fpa indicator :( Sure flies well anyway. Smoother will come with practice I hope lol.John Ellison