Sign in to follow this  
Guest jason2112

Zoom setting

What is considered to be the correct/best zoom factor for the default Cessna Skylake using the VC. I've tried many settings - 0.6 looks good for the scenery but airport/runway lighting looks like big blobs - lighting ok with zoom factor at 1 but then there is little point in having a VC.Any suggestions appreciated.Andy

0.68-0.75You can use FSUIPC to set up a hotkey combination so that you can switch to the chosen zoom without affecting the other zoom controls.I have 0.68 set up to work with Ctrl+minus and 1.25 (for approaches when field of view is less important and the sight picture is closer to what I was used to seeing) with Ctrl+plus.ChasW

Guest racartron

You can also use ActiveCam to tweak the zoom in VC mode. A click of the mouse wheel will move ya forward or back slightly. This is particularily useful when you want to change headings or adjust the mixture -- or the like and stay in VC mode. Just role up closer to the gauge (similar to leaning forward in real life) watch the effect of the change, then easily roll back (straighten up).Works for me.racartronit means something, but I just can't remember what

Hi When I go to .68 it looks like a fishbowl. I was wondering if there would be different zoom settings depending on the a/c. I thought I read from one of the 3rd party developers that they had recommended 1.26. The VC seems more realistic with the smaller zoom settings but again I just cant get used to the fishbowl effect. Bob

I use .70 on almost everything. I don't know the exact field of view at that setting but it seems about right for most situations. Especially GA VFR flights.Trip

> When I go to .68 it looks like a fishbowl. I was wondering>if there would be different zoom settings depending on the>a/c.That is correct. It does depend on the panel. I got exactly 0.71 zoom for the 767PIC panel - the only panel I made really detailed calculations for. But I suspect most panels would have a value below 1.0. Michael J.

Guest jason2112

I use 0.67, and it fits a lot of great GA aircraft (FSD Commander, Dreamfleet C177 & Archer II, F1 421C, Lago Twin Otter and the default Cessnas too) very well, as if the designers intended them to be used that way. For a long time I insisted that all VCs should be watched at 1.00 zoom, but my views have changed ;) I don't think 0.67 looks like looking through a fish bowl, not at all. I'm normally quite touchy about this, because I'm also quite interested in photography. The only VC that really looks perfect at 1.00 is the SF.260's.Just my 2c (EUR),VOlker :]