Sign in to follow this  
Guest dougwells

Any problems putting FS9 on system with FSX?

Guest dougwells

I've been unsuccessful at finding an FSX plane that has the JPI EDM 700 egt gauge. There are two planes in FS9 that do have the EDM700 (Dreamfleet A36 and the Socata TB20 Trinidad). I'd really rather not install FS9 but it looks like the only way to get practice with this gauge.I have plenty of hard drive space for FS9. Are there any potential conflict issues or other aspects that would be good for me to consider prior to installing FS9 on my computer that is running FSX very nicely.Thanks

I've been unsuccessful at finding an FSX plane that has the JPI EDM 700 egt gauge. There are two planes in FS9 that do have the EDM700 (Dreamfleet A36 and the Socata TB20 Trinidad). I'd really rather not install FS9 but it looks like the only way to get practice with this gauge.I have plenty of hard drive space for FS9. Are there any potential conflict issues or other aspects that would be good for me to consider prior to installing FS9 on my computer that is running FSX very nicely.Thanks
I've had no problems doing this. I think there are lots of people with both Sims running.John

Guest jshyluk
I've had no problems doing this. I think there are lots of people with both Sims running.John
From what I recall, you may encounter difficulties under certain circumstances if you uninstall one of the flight sims incorrectly, in that the registry might require some cleaning up afterwards before you can use the other flight sim. Maybe. I wish I could be more specific, but it's been years since I have had both sims. My hard drive got wrecked (nothing to do with flight sim), so I never uninstalled anything, I just wiped the system clean and started again with FSX only. That being said, I can't think of any issue with having FS9 and FSX on the same computer other than you won't have any free time, and your face might hurt from smiling too much. Jeff ShylukSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Guest abulaafia

What I can't understand is why you SHOULD do it. Just lower the sliders (texture resolution 5m, 1.x shaders, Sparse scenery and autogen) and you have FS9 :), with even better frames than FS9 on multicore PCs.

What I can't understand is why you SHOULD do it. Just lower the sliders (texture resolution 5m, 1.x shaders, Sparse scenery and autogen) and you have FS9 :), with even better frames than FS9 on multicore PCs.
I think he wants to because he wants to use those two addons. However, have you tried to install those two addons into FSX?I have both on my system, and haven't had any problems. I don't use FS9, but have found a couple of addons that won't install unless it's there.

Ummmmllllll. "Why you SHOULD" is a bit in the eye of the beholder, however I guess there is really nothing mandatory here. Possibly better said might be said, "Would", not "SHOULD". I also concede that if one is only useing FS default installations, what you say may be true. However.....1. First of all, regardless of where FSX "sliders" are possioned, on my system under complex conditions, "better frames than FS9" with everything maxed out are not necessarily achieved.2.There are multiple addons available for both FSX and FS9. With "just lower the sliders" in FSX, the display is no where near what the duplicate addon look like with everything maxed out in FS9. (For example FSDreamteam KORD or KJFK). The loss of realistic static aircraft at airports also comes to mind.3. Some addons really affect frame rates. RXP Garmin gauges and ISG gauges come to mind. In multimonitor applications, this affect is far less significant in FS9 than in FSX, or perhaps better said, with the already high frame rates being achieved in FS9, the reduction is not noticable. 4. In multi-monitor applications for an exagerated example, flights can be made smoothly with all kinds of secondary windows left on secondary monitors (GPS, Throttle Quadrants, Overheads etc. FSNav on another, and even spot view permanently present on another). Try that in FSX with any slider selections. I almost get a picture, not even a slide show. In FS9, she is smooth as silk.This being said, I do not mean to bad mouth FSX. I fly FSX extenisevely and enjoy it very much as long as conditions are not too severe. However, if I am cranking up a flight from FSDreamteam KJFK or KORD to EGLL, LFPG EDDF or LLBG in the LDS767 with terrible weather, FDC checklists, and PF2000/PFE or VatSim ATC, chances are I will select FS9. There definitely is a difference in favor of FS9.I personally very much enjoy both FS9 and FSX and have never felt that it was necessary to snuff one and only keep the other for some unknown reason. It costs nothing but a bit of Harddrive space to retain both pleasures.Yes, I do nave multi-core.Respectfully:RTHEdit: I would also add that for me personally, to retain some FS9 birds, and panels make retention of FS9 worth it.Examples:1. I sure would hate to loose the Dreamfleet 727.2. One of my favorite Exec. Jets is LinderDesigns GV by Peter Brun. In FS9 I have a dandy third party panel that will not work in FSX. My choice was to modify the default Lear panel for FSX implementation but it doesn't touch that FS9 panel version.3. The Dassault Falcon 50 which is another favorite also has this same panel problem. A modified third party panel which is nowhere near the FS9 version was the only choice.Happy Flying:RTH