Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest _Christopher_

Comparison - Traffic Programs

I have owned and loved Ultimate traffic since just after its release so long ago. However I am curious as to if there are comparison charts somewhere which show the differences between UT and My Traffic X. I remember seeing one a while back and am now sorry I did not save it in my favorites because I cannot seem to find it any more.Thanks, all. I am looking at possibly investing in MTX but want to see if it is worth it.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I have owned and loved Ultimate traffic since just after its release so long ago. However I am curious as to if there are comparison charts somewhere which show the differences between UT and My Traffic X. I remember seeing one a while back and am now sorry I did not save it in my favorites because I cannot seem to find it any more.Thanks, all. I am looking at possibly investing in MTX but want to see if it is worth it.
My Traffic X is different in its premise but every bit as complex, configurable and editable as UT is. Additionally, MTX is frequently updated by an involved developer who is using FSX SP2 techniques for traffic file and model development. The biggest difference is that UTX uses real-world schedules whereas MTX only approximates this. MTX will populate your airports with aircraft and airlines which might be typically found in that region. While it does a fairly good job at guessing which aircraft should be and which airport, you'll find some airlines at airports that shouldn't be there and others that are missing that should. The schedules are tuned to the capabilities of the traffic engine rather than to any real world schedule. There are limitations to FSX's AI traffic engine which challenge a full implementation of a realistic schedule. I think MTX's tools for adjusting traffic schedules and customization are more extensive than UTX's but not by much. However, the MTX tools are slightly difficult to get used to, but the documentation is good (if not a little messy) and you can make powerful edits once you get the hang of the software. I made the switch to MTX from UTX about a year ago as the developer of MTX is active and is moving the product along nicely. Additionally, he has stated that he remains committed to FSX (despite the ACES closure) whereas there is nary a peep from the UT folks.Hope that helps a bit.

My Traffic X boxed version is the only commercial traffic product I've purchased. I use it in tandem along with various WOAI packages.There are many faults with the My Traffic X boxed version, one of which is the setting for high performance models and high resolution models. The latest patch purportedly brings the program up to speed with FSX SP2, however a very large section of the remaining models even with high resolution models selected, are totally ugly FS9 and older, performance degrading models. Some of them absolutely pitiful to look at. With my version, the EMB 145 will not load the model and you have a ghost plane flying around, and one has to navigate to the airplane installation folder and manually install the model. The military F-18 model is flawed, the F-16 model is terrible...etc..etc. My Traffic X has selectable years for historical traffic and every now and then seems to fill up lot's of out-of-the-way airports with air traffic, which is very cool. As the previous poster stated, a lot of the traffic is innappropriate.If you get My Traffic X I think it's better to download it rather than purchase the boxed version, which I may end up doing as well.

Thank you very much. I appreciate the input. I also heard that MTX traffic is much easier on FPS and this is my biggest concern in FSX -- nothing like approaching a major airport and having my FPS go from 30 locked to 5-10 average. I have heard good things about FPS for MTX so i think I am going to make the switch and see how it goes :-)