Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FLEX1978

Strange behavior MD11

Firstly just want to say the aircraft is performing great with the new patch and fixed trim issues. Last night I noticed something strange on the second leg of a Vatsim trip LFPG - LIRF - EHAM FEDEX MD11 G&E.LFPG - LIRF was flawless, landed without event and taxied to gate and configured the aircraft for a short turnaround of 45 mins and refueled. Later I got my clearence to EHAM and taxied out to RWY25 performed all my checks chose flaps 15 with no FLEX. So I Lined up set T/O thrust and all looks good until around 100kts I notice the number 3 EGT is boxed red, I immediately Reject the take off, taxi of the active and have a look at what's gone wrong. Now the first strange thing is the red box has disappeared, being used to the 744 if any value gets redlined it will leave a red box even if the EGT returns to a normal value to show that the engine has exceeded a limit , is it normal behavior for the MD11 to clear the fault?Since I'm thinking I may be going slightly mad and perhaps there wasn't a problem I tell the controller I will attempt another T/O. Again at around 100kts no3 EGT is Red, I decide to continue the take off clean up the aircraft and settle into the climb. The second strange thing I notice is no3 EGT is the same temp as Engine 1,2 (around 740c from memory) yet it is the only one that is red, also there was a blue ignition bolt on the no3 engine display and the aircraft did not like that fact that I tried to switch the ignition off 'Ignition not armed' Anyone know what was going on? halfway into the CRZ the red EGT box vanished again and I landed without incident.ConfusedRob

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Rob,I don't have an answer for you, but if you don't mind, I'd like to add a bit to your question regarding EGT.I've never had an issue with high EGT's or Hot Starts until tonight. While starting #3, I noticed the EGT creeping up toward the start limit. As soon as I moved the fuel switch to cutoff, the EGT started to decrease rapidly, but only cooled to 417 despite the fact that I was dry motoring the engine.I continued to motor the engine until I hit the starter duty cycle limit, but EGT never got lower than 415. It was cooling at a rate similar to what I would expect to occur in an engine with no rotation.I was impatient, so I attempted another start, and of course, I got a hot start with the EGT latched at 545. The EGT came back into limits as the N2 accelerated to idle, and I continued the flight (I know, I know.)I tried resetting failures from the PMDG menu, but I couldn't get the latched EGT numerals to go away.Anyway, this might be vaguely related to your problem too, since I had a red EGT indication that subsequently returned to normal. I did have the EGT "545" indication though...so who knows?Regards,Nick

I've had the EGT go into red on a no flex takeoff but if I remember correctly it displayed red the whole flight, didn't reset back to normal. (pre 1.20)Jay V.