Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Which runs FS2k2 Pro better???

I know this questions has been asked in the past but what operating system runs best under FS2K2 Pro? Is it Win XP Pro or Win 2000? Getting ready to buy a new computer and need to decide which operating system is most efficient and do most people use.Thanks for any help!the chemist.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Only my humble opinion, but XP. I had until recently one computer running Win2000, one 98se, one XPhome and one XPPro. I now have 2 XPpro and 2 XPhome. Windows 2000 is supposed to be a good business platform but not so good for games. It was a lousy business platform for our office, running some programs (admittedly older ones) slower than the Win95 machine it replaced. XP runs 'em just fine, boots quicker, and gets BSOD never. Win2000 required a reboot at least once a day. XP doesn't.I would have upgraded the Win2000 to XPhome, but that's not an option with Microsoft. We have a small 4 computer network that still has one Win2000 machine on it (my associate's) and he's starting to see the benefit of switching to XP but still doesn't want to spend the $200. My home machine, and the one that has FS2K2, works GREAT but I've not tried FlightSim on a Win2000 machine.

I am using Win2K Pro and the thing runs FS2002 Pro, SOF II, RTCW, TW2003 and every other program flawlessly, and I mean that, save a microstutter on occasion which I attribute to my onboard sound AC97. I have a post going about this, and since I found a super deal on Audigy II, I have one due to arrive soon which I'm fairly sure will give 100% smooth to FS2002. Now seriously, it really is a micro stutter on occasion, but the untrained eye would not notice it. FS performs fantastically overall with this guy, even with top end payware aircraft. I chose Win2K Pro when I built this machine a few months back because it is leaner than XP, is very much evolved and works very well as a game platform IMO, uses the same kernal as XP, and is supported, like XP Home, until 2008. PLUS: and this is good for the paranoid in you--it requires NO ACTIVATION TECHNOLOGY. That's right, I never need to report in when I change hardware, never, ever . . .I know that's no big deal, and I have no probs with XP. But truthfully, Win2K Pro has been around quite some time now, works fine with all home PC needs that I have, plays all the latest games no problem. I don't know about legacy software that 95 runs better because I use no legacy software. I have had absolutely NO PROBLEMS with Win2K Pro, and I have a top end system including SCSI, etc. In 2 months, I HAVE YET to see a BSOD. It's all in how you set it up, most often . . .Noel