Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

The AVSIM Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Noel

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Noel

  1. Thank you for that--I will upgrade. One more question if you will. Whenever I hit the number 1 key on the keyboard top BATC tunes to ATIS, and I would like to disable that if possible.
  2. Briefly, what might be the main benefits for EXP version over basic? BATC has improved greatly and wondering if it's time to move to EXP. Any downsides of EXP over basic? Thanks!
  3. About every two months or so I do a DDU clean of NV drivers et al and do a clean install of the latest NV driver, or sometimes just re-install the current NV driver in my Win 11 PC. This automatically deletes the NV shader cache. I always notice a meaningful improvement whenever I do this routine. If you follow his video you still will need to repeat actions suggested periodically because something degrades over time so benefits from periodic resets.
  4. 🤣😂 I'm sorry, it's possible they changed, but my guess is you likely missed the dark blue letters in the link against its black background which is too easy to miss, or selected Subscriptions on the list of options on the left of the profile which will not take you to the Data Only option.
  5. On the MSFS2024 forum there is some confusion about this and I wanted to let everyone know who has no interest in the Ultimate sub at Navigraph that you can still subscribe to Data Only as a new or existing user. It's a little confusing but the process is actually simple: 1. Login as an existing user, or create a new account and log in 2. Select your profile by clicking on your account in the upper right. 3. Look for the Get a Navigraph Data subscription link on the bottom of that page, click it and you will be offered the sub at €29.79 / Year current pricing. Cheers
  6. Happily, for jcomm's and any others' sake, you're wrong. Apparently you did not follow the directions supplied. I just created a brand new account with a different email and name and for some reason the image does not display here, just a link: https://imgur.com/a/lp8RvtX And still only: €29.79 / Year
  7. Thanks for that I will recontact her and let her know. They apparently grandfather accounts for this, fortunately for those who already have an active subscription.
  8. And it's a Bonafide fact that of ALL the elements of what comprises 'visuals', what was downgraded is a very small piece of the total pie and that is in part why not everybody is impacted the same by this clearly carefully chosen method to reduce performance demand. I have a reasonably high end system and would not want performance degraded in trade for what element was degraded to accommodate low end PC and consoles. Like Christopher, I hardly notice it at all, and will add I have a 34" display running at virtual 5160x2160.
  9. I'm beating the dying horse here for the benefit of newer followers to the thread who might read your comment. It's critical to note something about your characterization of visual downgrade as HUGE: it's ground textures in some areas or maybe most areas that have been degraded and that within in a context of ultra detailed PG and object definition and unbelievable density. As well I'm seeing incredibly crisp detailed terrain in the recent fly from KSGU to KJAC and I swear it seems better than ever. So, in terms of 'visuals', we have to include EVERYTHING, not just some or even many sections of flat ground textures. And that EVERYTHING includes all of the detail in planes, airports and surrounding environs, all the photogrammetry, all of the trees and shrubs and grasses and rocks, airport ground services and airport ground vehicles and so forth. Put another way if you degraded all of the detailed objects mentioned, everyone would notice this, but it's not the case at all. Flying into EDDK the other day I was stunned to see the detail from a few hundred feet up at an area I walked around a few months ago as we took a walk to see what was happening at a political rally there. In short, if we list ALL elements of visuals, what's been downgraded is a very small percentage of what impacts one's visual experience in the sim. So I give Asobo massive accolades for exactly how they degraded the entire visual experience if that was required to help a large core group of users have a better total experience, and for that matter that better performance matters hugely to those with modest PC hardware as well, and even my own system.
  10. Has AMD sold out to AI? If not is this why MS in their Project Helix is using AMD chips?
  11. I thought perhaps it had to do with that thanks. Why, so late in the game did they feel the need to do this? Too many out of vram errors on Xbox perhaps? I wonder if it's the basic architecture that dictates it's too difficult to now put a fork in the road for control over something like that based on users' hardware, to have one pathway for Xbox and a 2nd for PC, or something along those lines. Unfortunate if that's the case it seems if they had considered this early on it seems very plausibly possible. I guess we hope for Project Helix to arrive to let them turn the detail back up.
  12. What exactly has downgraded in yours and consensus others estimation? This must be somewhat region dependent? I flew from KSGU to KJAC the other day and was stunned by the quality of detail in the terrain in that entire flight all the way to and including the Grand Tetons. I certainly believe you and others are seeing the degradation but I'm not sure what it really is. I'm also someone who from Day 1 2020 could hardly appreciate the difference between TLOD of 100, and 400. Yes, I saw a very slight change in some detail in the distance but it really was meaningless, certainly relative to the impact on CPU. Cheers
  13. You still can purchase the lesser expensive AIRAC Data only at Navigraph, you aren't required to by Ultimate. This is from a support person there and I rechecked with her to see if it applies for New Accounts and she says yes, this applies to new accounts as well. So if you don't have an account, create one, and check the annual pricing for data only. I don't care about 'live traffic' the delayed thru FSLTL is fine for my needs. Marissa Schulman (Navigraph) Sep 22, 2026, 10:09 PM GMT+2 Hello, Thank you for reaching out. You can purchase a Navigation Data subscription in your profile. Once you log in to the Navigraph website, click your profile to go to the Dashboard. You will see the following: I have highlighted the Navigation Data subscription in red. Click that, and you'll go through the purchase process.
  14. Just this morning, at KTEX again, this:
  15. Not quite sure what that is, locked and non-spawnable, but somehow FSBirds managed to create a useful addon in that regard.
  16. Rather than another ATC program I'm surprised there aren't more devs working on adding more bio life into the sim including people, domestic ruminants, wild animals. I love seeing FS Birds of which I have them for all regions available. When I installed the Jurassic World Archipelago I was struck by how low impact the dinos were, but of course that is in the context of otherwise light performance demands on the islands. OTOH, seeing wildlife is going to happen in rural or wilderness areas where performance demand is low as well. I know it's not common to spot wildlife in the RW but a little poetic license could go a long ways. Would love to see a herd of pronghorn, buffalo, domestic cattle etc. One of my fav short local flights is KTEX>KBJC, and twice I've seen elk on airport property. Would love to see more of that it's really cool for adding realism. I think when, not if, this is done and it's done very well, demand could be substantial.
  17. Thanks for that I appreciate it. Could you do a test for me if possible? I use a different method to control rate and won't deviate from it because it's proven to deliver the lowest frame time variance of any limiting methods. If possible, set your rate using NV DLSS Frame Gen to a rate of 60FPS-fg (30FPSx2), then note how things look when you pan the exterior world say on tarmac texture that is comprised of very dark and very bright elements. LGAV is one of the worst and that high contrast texture is what manifests the type of flicker I'm referring to and let me know how much there is. No need to fly, choose any aircraft just pan thru a window and look at tarmac near your location. Probably best in bright sunlight. Thanks in advance! Your AW3926QW - 5K2K OLED looks pretty sweet. I use 3440x1440 so I don't think that display would work for me since it would not be the native resolution I'm after, would it? My GPU could probably cope with that resolution as right now I increase Primary Scale to 140 (5160x2160 here), instead of default 100 (3440x1440 here). I imagine the 34" version of your screen would even be sharper provided you're sitting the same distance from the screen.
  18. In the mean time BATC gets better and better! I love the new voices which finally got me out of paying for premium, and traffic animation in large part is improved wherein I see only occasionally herky jerky animation.
  19. For your mental health, try not focusing on aircraft so far away. You already know what you will see when you do that, and you clearly find it disturbing. There is way to much wonderment to let something like this get to you. Again, you already understand it's there and hasn't yet been addressed.
  20. Speaking of tricks, I was approaching EDDM in a 777-200LR and decided to make a video in drone cam mode. Gear was deployed and I was just behind the plane at video start. I used the S key to steadily increase distance from the plane and you could easily see where the gear disappears. Now here's an interesting thing I just witnessed. My TLOD was set at 200 at the current AGL of a 3.5K feet or so. When the gear disappeared I changed TLOD (using DynamicLOD_Reset) to 600 and of course, I guess, the gear reappeared. I then resumed backing away from the plane and was now to a point where I couldn't hardly see the gear was there, so quite a bit farther away and yet gear was still displayed. And here is the trick: I put the TLOD back to 150...but the gear remained visible despite the fact the plane was a much longer ways out. Unfortunately the video is just too low res to see this but for those after a solution maybe play around with an initial TLOD extremely high, maybe 1000 or whatever the max is, then dial back and see if the effect sticks, though probably won't unless gear is displaying at that moment, versus affecting all gear. Here is my flight report from SLC for those that might want to add flight scoring to put some consequences into your flights since there are none compared to RW flying. I also keep MSFS setup to be aware of aircraft stress, crashing into objects etc, all to help me pay attention because it's too easy not to! thttps://www.selfloadingcargo.com/flightlogs/view/133214/90973bf0-515b-463d-8c9b-6ebdc1819e14
  21. As said, I think a whole lot depends on exactly what you're doing. Sure, if you look for this you will see it absolutely. I'm way focused on all the preflight stuff and during taxi I'm not looking at aircraft far enough away to manifest the issue, I'm more focused on aircraft that might conflict with my taxi routing. It could be using FSLTL's injection trained my brain to do this because conflict w/ other traffic can happen with its injection. For sure, it's an oddity--it's got to be a flag that needs changed to fix it. Considering the thousands of objects I'm seeing all around LGAV adding missing gear would be giant nothing in terms of performance impact it would seem. This is typical for me, forgive the HDR in the screenshot, but these 3 aircraft all display gear and the one farthest away may be missing elements of the gear but really pretty hard to notice if that's the case and it's too far away to be concerned about conflict at this point:
  22. 🤣😂☺️ LOL that reminds me: I'm not immune to being disturbed by something blatantly out of whack in the sim. For me it was BATC's AI traffic animation. It's happening much less now for reasons unknown to me as I switched to FSLTL's injection shortly after starting to use BATC because back then its traffic animation was flat out herky-jerky no matter how I set it up, just nasty, and the closer you were to a taxiing or incoming bird the worse it became. And now after a year with that approach I'm back to using BATC's traffic as now it's relatively uncommon, the herky jerky part. As well vectoring is improving. I mentioned this to our old friend Capt Piett, and when he looked at the video I sent him he said the same thing that you just did as he never noticed the herky jerky animation until I shared a video I made with him. That aberration for me was a showstopper for using BATC's traffic because it was constant when it happened, not just a few seconds of something missing. Pop-ins of any kind have also worsened a bit, but compared to what's displayed, the massive amount of detail displayed, well it's just one of those sim-isms that is a tiny price to pay for a truly magnificent sim.
  23. Never suggested it doesn't happen. Once again, I'm only looking at incoming aircraft when I'm holding. Otherwise, I'm not looking at aircraft in the sky and of course on the ground during taxi w/ planes in close proximity there is no issue. Moreover, you don't even see incoming aircraft when holding until they're quite close relatively speaking. Much farther out planes might not have their gear down either. There is no question that it happens is certainly not a positive attribute. But in the context of a visually stunning sim it can be made a minor issue in one's mind, especially if you focus on something other than missing landing gear. I'm also guessing all of the variables impacting experience are hardly identical and this likely plays some role in why it is that this doesn't bother many or most enough to complain repeatedly about it. I just watched my behavior just now taking off out of CYYT in the IFly MAX 8. After TO my attention was completely focused on hand flying including focus on keeping the little circle inside the hollow circle in the HUD. I turned it over to the autopilot after about 10K feet, and of course by then there zero issues with seeing landing gear in other aircraft. Quite frankly it's hard to believe people can look for aircraft w/o landing gear in that scenario the most I could do during initial climb was a quick glance out a side window once or twice.
  24. Perhaps, Marco, not all machines are tuned identically, and that doesn't need to be stated because absolutely they aren't: TLOD, OLOD, various slider settings, and of course hardware elements and even zoom factor. I've looked since a few whine about this one element among a thousand elements that produce total visual quality possible and TBH, yes, I've seen it, but with how i'm configured it's just very modest and in normal operation, again, use SLC, BATC, GSX, it's just low on my totem pole as something that demands attention. Do you use an accurate FoV zoom level? I don't, I've always preferred zoomed out because I appreciate the sense of speed and general sharpening of texture details over realist FoV zoom factors. That perhaps is a substantial reason why it's just one of a few other 'pop-ins' that occur in the sim and that just aren't something to focus on during normal flight. My pre-flight takes around 30 minutes or so, plane-dependent. During that time I'm interacting with ground and flight crew, configuring the plane and all of that. I don't typically gander at incoming aircraft during pre-flight. Next comes taxi. I'm paying close attention to maintaining proper taxi speed, looking for taxi conflicts with other aircraft, etc. About the only time I will potentially notice the landing gear issue is when I'm holding for an approaching aircraft. With my settings, this happens perhaps once every 6 flight or so. And then? I might notice gear is visually corrupt....or was that because it was just coming down?...but more often than not it's hardly noticeable. I remember when the chronically neg simmer here challenged my statement, back then, that pop-ins weren't happening often at all. I produced a video and you couldn't hardly discern a pop-in was happening in a visually dense approach and landing and displayed it here. Point being: how we use the sim matters, as well as all of those other factors influencing manifestation of visual shortcomings. This is why I suggested people who let themselves be bothered by this or that shortcoming from perfection they direct their attention elsewhere, to aiming for a perfect flight in terms of execution and even keeping passengers happy. This is what Self Loading Cargo offers.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.