Sign in to follow this  
Chuck_B

Does FS Nav Need to Rebuild "Default Terrain"

Whenever one adds new scenery to FS9 it's been recommended that you rebuild FS Navigator's database by using the 'Create Database' button. Ever since I reloaded FS Genesis terrain mesh back into my sim, it (understandably) takes much longer for FS Nav to now recreate it's database, taking about 5 minutes or so just to process the 'Default Terrain' folder.Now that I have rebuilt it's database a couple of times since I added FS Genesis, is it really necessary for me to keep the 'Default Terrain' checked in the 'Scenery Area' in FSNav so that FSNav HAS to inlcude it in the rebuild every time I add a new scenery? I know it's recommended but since that file is rarely changed by any add on scenery, I seems to just be a waste of time to me.Thanks for any insight you can provide.

You can give it a go and see what happens. I untick all my meshes before rebuilding the FSNAV database. Just remember not to save the configuration back to FS9 with them unticked :(

When I use the database builder I untick all but the essential folders, keeping all airports I have added of course. As far as I can tell, there is no need for it to index items such as mesh. I believe it is important to have all of the Scenery/subfolders (africa, asia, namc, name etc) as their scenery subfolders contain navigation data files (example: nv9AFRI0.BGL) which I assume FSNav uses.Since I do not use the "save" command, I do not have to tick them again as it does not alter my scenery.cfg file.It works for me. :(

Opa, I was hoping you'd weigh in on this one. Thank you both. I'll give it a go and report back if there are any problems.Best regards and

Oh, brother! After all that, you CAN'T disable "Default Terrain". When you go to untcik it, FSNav give you an error telling you it's a required entry . . . :(

Oh, brother! After all that, you CAN'T disable "Default Terrain". When you go to untcik it, FSNav give you an error telling you it's a required entry . . . :(
Try making a separate scenery entry for your Mesh - and add it to the library, just as you would any addon airport.You will likely need to experiment with priority of course but then you should be able to untick it for FSNav.I have never tried that "trick" but might be worth a shot. :(

Thank you, Opa -- great idea! However, I just added a new KPSP and rebuilt the database and this time it only took a couple of minutes!! :( If the problem persists I'll definately try your suggestion -- I'm just coming off of about 8 weeks of hardware failures/diagnostics/repairs, so I'm enjoying a few days of trouble free flying first.As always, thank you for your sage advice.Best regards --