Sign in to follow this  
Manny

How does Simchart 3 work?

I am thinking of getting Simchart 3 even though I am using FSX and not FS9.All I am looking for is to be able to view charts (Europe mainly) and then print them out when I need it. I do not care for tight integration that the online simchart 4 that I have provides (This is going to expire in a year).I understand that I can unlock the 3 regions (IF I get the 3 region disk) when I install. Does the app go to Jeppesen internet sight to unlock this? I am worried that Jeppesen would stop supporting this in a year.IS it tightly coupled to my PC? What happens when I move to another PC? can I install it again in another PC?How does it work?Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I am thinking of getting Simchart 3 even though I am using FSX and not FS9.All I am looking for is to be able to view charts (Europe mainly) and then print them out when I need it. I do not care for tight integration that the online simchart 4 that I have provides (This is going to expire in a year).I understand that I can unlock the 3 regions (IF I get the 3 region disk) when I install. Does the app go to Jeppesen internet sight to unlock this? I am worried that Jeppesen would stop supporting this in a year.IS it tightly coupled to my PC? What happens when I move to another PC? can I install it again in another PC?How does it work?Manny
I'm surprised to hear you can still buy SimCharts 3 but here's some answers to you Q's:As you stated, the application requires keys to unlock regions and those keys can/could be bought frmo Jeppesen after you purchased the product. The application is not linked to your computer as far as I know. I have re-installed it after having bought new computers and haven't seen any problems. I can't swear it doesn't communicate with Jeppesen but I'm 99.99% sure it doesn't. Haven't tested starting it offline but I bet it works fine. So, it's very unlikely that SC3 will stop working as Jeppesen withdraws their supports for SimChart as a product.The app itself is pretty ok. My personal pet Peeve is how you scroll the charts in the "viewer". As your mouse cursor nears the edges the it changes to arrows and you are required to click to scroll the view. Having clicked once the mouse cursor changes back to the original form so you need to move the mouse a little bit to get the "scroll cursor" back. Very awkward and clumsy if you need to have a quick look while being very busy shooting an approach. I usually print the views out but it's costing alot of toner and paper.Happy flying.../Jonas