Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

treblesum81

FSX Performance Tuning in Windows 7

Hi All,I've been working with Windows 7 and FSX now for a few months and I just can't seem to get the mess straightened out. I upgraded from Vista x64 because I got tired of that headache and I had heard that the Beta of Windows 7 was a much better solution. So far, I'm happy with it as an operating system, but thats not the problem. Under Vista x64, my system was about to crank out 15-30 fps in dense scenery areas and well over 60 fps in sparse areas after being properly set up, while under Windows 7, with the same settings (Vista and Win7 are supposed to be pretty much the same, so I thought that would be a good place to start), I've only been able to max out at about 25 fps, with dense areas often stabilizing around 5-8 fps. I've tried running through the performance setup procedure a few times without any improvement, and spent the last couple of months adjusting everything I could find, but nothing seems to really have an effect on FSX fps.I'm hoping someone else with more experience and knowledge than me has been able to unlock the performance secret for Windows 7 and is willing to share it here. One thing that has had me confused about all of this is the fact the FSX, so far seems to have run better under Vista than Windows 7, despite the fact that Windows 7 runs inherently faster and smoother than Vista. Any help would be appreciated.Thanks,GregPS: My specs:Intel Q9550 Quad-Core 2.83GHz4GB DDR2 1066MHz RAMATI HD4870 X2 video Card (I know its not for FSX, but FSX isn't the only game I play...)Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB Program Drive (Windows is installed on a separate drive)

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Are you using the default video drivers that Windows 7 wants to install, or did you download updated drivers from a vendor?The video driver system is significantly different in Windows 7 and I noticed a peformance DECREASE when I went and used a video driver other than what Windows 7 wanted to install through windowsupdate.

I've been using the Windows 7 "compatible" ATI drivers.... I'll try reverting to see what happens...

A reversion back to the Win7 auto-installed video drivers did not improve frame rates at all... Thanks for the idea though...