Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

FS Original Aircraft?

In the past few days, there have been people uploading aircraft, and they are arriving in the library with the label "FS2002 Original Aircraft". Two have appeared in the library today by Joe Mann. One, a 727, is actually an FFX 727, although no credit is given to the authors in the description. The other is a 757, which mentions three authors, but not their names in the description.People, come on! Don't claim an aircraft as "my aircraft" when you are either compiling someone else's work, and/or not giving credit to the authors. These don't even appear to be repaints--just a gathering of others' work. A word to the wise--Don't waste your time downloading these.Rant over....-John

We don't look favorably on this kind of stuff John. So, when you see this stuff, get the file number and send an email to library@avsim.com setting out the issues. We'll remedy the situation as soon as we can get to it.

My other complaint about this section of late is the large number of DC-3 repaints that have shown up there. It's not that I don't welcome the addition paints, and they look great, but shouldn't they be in the repaints section? I thought the FS2002 Original Aircraft heading was for new planes only, not repaints of existing ones even if they are for FS2002. It's not a huge deal, and maybe I misunderstood the point of this section. Just an observation.thanks,

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

The section is as I understand it for complete aircraft (with optional panels).This in contrast to packages containing only textures to be applied to some other package.

I might have misunderstood the section's purpose, although in this case, the files in question did not even cite the original authors in the description. I think the "Original Aircraft" section should be just that, new and original aircraft, vs. aircraft packages compiled from others' work.One way to look at this may be in adding a separate, "aircraft package" section where people (with permission) can bundle aircraft, textures, sounds and panels. But in truth, I hold the same low opinion of people who package others' work without credit as I do for those who compile others' work on CD. Any such section should have strict rules--credit to the original authors in both the description and a readme.txt. I also worry that bandwidth in the file library could take a nosedive if every person seeking their fifteen minutes of fame starts packaging work, none of it theirs, just to get their "name in lights." The files that made me start the thread both exceeded 6 megs.-John